I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA while on treatment

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 22:19

Hi today I had my first 3 month check after treatment. I was started on monthly zoladex injections.at first, my PSA went from 5.8 to 0.2 . I the took part in a pace 2 clinical trial. I had 5 treatments over 7 days  @ 36.25 grey instead of the usual 20 treatments over 30 days . So today I was told my PSA has gone up to 1.5 . There was no reason given as to why. I’m still having zoladex monthly but I’m 3 months post radiation. I’m a very fit and active 54 year old. I’ve got to have my testosterone levels checked and PSA for my April check. Has anyone heard of this before. Best wishes to you all DAVO 

User
Posted 22 Jan 2022 at 00:50

I don't think we can read much in to a PSA test three months post very aggressive radiation. In fact if you had not been on a trial I suspect they wouldn't have done a PSA test until your prostate had time to recover, probably six months.

I had more conventional treatment than you. No one did a PSA test on me until six months post treatment. My six months PSA post radiation whilst on zoladex was <0.1. 

It is true I would expect zoladex to be keeping your PSA very low, but you have probably got prostate cells disintegrating in your body and releasing PSA as they do so. You definitely need a testosterone check to see if zoladex is working, may be that should be done sooner rather than later. Also why are you not on three monthly zoladex, it saves a lot of bother going for injections?

I think I would speak to the oncologist and see if they have an opinion on the PSA, but I wouldn't be worrying, because no one knows what is normal PSA when you are having a novel treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jan 2022 at 10:13
Think of it as the cancer cells screaming while they burn
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Mar 2022 at 19:12

Thank you both for replying. It’s comforting to read and now I’ve got my head back into positive motion. Yes I’m having a testosterone test in a few weeks . I’ll keep you posted. I hope you are keeping well and I send best wishes. DAVO 

User
Posted 08 Mar 2022 at 19:27
Yes, it is early days - we are all different - see what it's like in 6 months or so.

My next PSA is in may.