Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad diagnosed - how to cope

User
Posted 25 Jan 2022 at 23:41

Hi all,

not something I’d ever be doing but I’m 26 and my dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. His psa was 189 which we are both aware is very high. He has not yet started treatment as he was only diagnosed today. 
I live with him 5 days a week as I work near him and I am very close with him. 
basically and excuse the rambling as it’s new but does anyone have any success stories from similar. Don’t currently want to hear bad ones and also any one have anything that can help me and him get on with it. I’m struggling and I’m sure he is. 

thanks in advance!

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 00:05

Hi Jake, 

So much easier said than done but try not to worry. This is definitely the hardest bit and things do get easier when you start to get a treatment plan. I guess people will want to know your dads TNM staging and Gleason score etc if you have it? I’m guessing your dad has had an MRI scan and biopsy already?

My husband was diagnosed 6 months ago and his 26 year old son lives with us and we had to tell him and his sister. It was such a difficult thing to do and such a difficult time but we’re in a much better place now. 

Everyone’s situation is different but there is so much hope, there’s so much that can be done. People see it initially as a death sentence but that really isn’t the case and people often live a very long time with prostate cancer, and die with it and not of it.

This is a really great place to be and I’m sure lots of people will reply with good advice for you and your dad. 

Update the post when you know more and people will always try to help you out. Take care.

Edited by member 26 Jan 2022 at 00:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 00:17

Also Jake in terms of getting help. I’m not sure whereabouts you live but is there a Maggie’s centre near you? Or have you been assigned a macmillan nurse? These are great places to look for help and support. 

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 13:42

Hi Jake my prognosis wasn't great high PSA Gleason 9 after 37 rounds off radiotherapy and hormone therapy ongoing for 2 years    9 months after start off treatment PSA now 0.01 and slowly getting back to normal released from hospital now just PSA check every 6 months  and life's back to normal  there is light at the end of the tunnel  gaz

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 13:55

He will learn more after his MRI scan and biopsy as to what treatment plan is available to him lots they can do nowadays both stay positive lots off fantastic advice from some really clever people on here to help you along too