Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Radical Prostatectomy, pre/post surgery advice

User
Posted 27 Jan 2022 at 23:19

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the start of December last year after a biopsy. I’m only 46 so was shocked to say the least. I was given a Gleason score of 3+4.  After 2 months of worrying I’m due for my RP surgery on Saturday.

I am obviously panicked about the whole thing.

Do you have any tips on helping calm my nerves etc pre surgery. Also any advice on things I can do post surgery that can help with recovery/ pain relief. I’m aware that drinking fluids and moving around as soon as possible are good ones for starters.

Thanks

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 00:47

Hello,

My husband is much older than you at 73 (He’s really fit and well for his age and I am much younger too). He had his surgery on 21st December and found it all pretty good and is recovering well.

Pre op he did lots of pelvic floor exercises, drank lots of water and stayed off alcohol for a couple of weeks before. He stayed in hospital 2 nights and when out he didn’t really feel much pain but we kept him on paracetamol only for about 4 days. Constipation can be an issue. Just make sure you take the movicol (or whatever similar they give you) I also gave him prune juice and I think it was day 4 when he went to the toilet. Peppermint tea is good for build up of gas (from them blowing you up) also had cranberry juice to try to avoid any infection. Catheter I guess not brilliant, but he found it very tolerable and had no pain from it (I bought instilagel just in case) he ended up having it for 4 weeks aswell because of slight leak. He had catheter removed last week and has been doing really well….we expected him to be very incontinent but that wasn’t the case. He’s been dry at night and just dribbles through the day (except when a few alcoholic drinks)

I have to say so far it’s all been so much better than we expected. Everyone is completely different of course but just take it easy and day by day. 

Wishing you lots of success for your op and hopefully you can keep us posted. Best of luck πŸ‘πŸ½

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 11:29

Young Darth ask the hospital for some instilagel or hydrocaine in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore. Try and avoid constipation, as you already said keeping mobile and fluid intake should help. Snug but not tight short type underwear helps keep the catheter from moving around.

A packet of your favourite biscuits or crisps are handy if you lose your appetite. A non fizzy drink makes a change from water. Ask the hospital for some ear plugs and an eye mask, you will still be disturbed for regular obs.

Get a couple of spare thigh straps so you can shower. Showe put a dry strap on the other leg and transfer the bag to the dry strap.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 11:53
User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 11:54
Hi,
I had my operation on Friday 21st Jan.
So far not too bad. It took me couple of days to get use to catheter and have a better night sleep now.
Constipation is a problem especially if eating too much the next day after operation (just as I did).
Before operation it is really a hard time emotionally but once operation done it is more a physical challenge that occupies mind. But this stages goes much smoother than one might think, I suppose.
Best of wishes
User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 16:49

Hi YoungDarth,

Best of luck tomorrow. 

I saw it that tomorrow I will go to sleep and wake up very likely cancer free.  How amazing is that!   I also read all the forecasts for weather(it was December), traffic(I knew the surgeon lived 40 miles down the M6 from Private Hospital profiles), and anything else and had contingency plans to make sure I was there with plenty of time.   I'm a bit of a saddo for planning.   

I woke up ready to go and was out of bed as soon as the drip was removed which was in the morning.  We had a gent nearby who snored like a lion and another with a beeping machine, it took until morning to find my ear plugs.  I was there a second night as my pelvic blood drain was still draining and it was my decision(not everyone has a pelvic drain).

I think the high optimism lasted about a month.   When the first clinic and blood test came onto the horizon it was fingers crossed time and that's how it is for the first few years, a bit up and down, mainly middling.

Best wishes for tomorrow,
Peter

Edited by member 28 Jan 2022 at 16:50  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 00:47

Hello,

My husband is much older than you at 73 (He’s really fit and well for his age and I am much younger too). He had his surgery on 21st December and found it all pretty good and is recovering well.

Pre op he did lots of pelvic floor exercises, drank lots of water and stayed off alcohol for a couple of weeks before. He stayed in hospital 2 nights and when out he didn’t really feel much pain but we kept him on paracetamol only for about 4 days. Constipation can be an issue. Just make sure you take the movicol (or whatever similar they give you) I also gave him prune juice and I think it was day 4 when he went to the toilet. Peppermint tea is good for build up of gas (from them blowing you up) also had cranberry juice to try to avoid any infection. Catheter I guess not brilliant, but he found it very tolerable and had no pain from it (I bought instilagel just in case) he ended up having it for 4 weeks aswell because of slight leak. He had catheter removed last week and has been doing really well….we expected him to be very incontinent but that wasn’t the case. He’s been dry at night and just dribbles through the day (except when a few alcoholic drinks)

I have to say so far it’s all been so much better than we expected. Everyone is completely different of course but just take it easy and day by day. 

Wishing you lots of success for your op and hopefully you can keep us posted. Best of luck πŸ‘πŸ½

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 08:57

Just seen your post without knowing your symptoms have a look at focal solutions as the side effects are significantly lower. These are HIFU snd IRE ( which I had- see my post)

Best to research these and make a decision as RP and radiation have possible significant side effects 

Given you have intermediate prostate cancer with that Gleason score you fo not have to rush with a treatment 

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 10:12

In terms of calming nerves, I'd just say that the operation you are having is likely to be very routine and lots of people have it (including me). Just follow the advice from the hospital.

Afterwards, drinking and exercise, as you say, are good. Avoid lifting anything heavy. Put a basin next to your bed to put your night catheter bag in.

Good luck!

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 10:14

What an insensitive and unhelpful post Paul. Did you not read the post? Youngdarth is having his operation on Saturday. He wasn't asking for advice on treatment options.

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 10:20

Thank you 😊 

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 10:21

Thank you

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 11:29

Young Darth ask the hospital for some instilagel or hydrocaine in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore. Try and avoid constipation, as you already said keeping mobile and fluid intake should help. Snug but not tight short type underwear helps keep the catheter from moving around.

A packet of your favourite biscuits or crisps are handy if you lose your appetite. A non fizzy drink makes a change from water. Ask the hospital for some ear plugs and an eye mask, you will still be disturbed for regular obs.

Get a couple of spare thigh straps so you can shower. Showe put a dry strap on the other leg and transfer the bag to the dry strap.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 11:53
User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 11:54
Hi,
I had my operation on Friday 21st Jan.
So far not too bad. It took me couple of days to get use to catheter and have a better night sleep now.
Constipation is a problem especially if eating too much the next day after operation (just as I did).
Before operation it is really a hard time emotionally but once operation done it is more a physical challenge that occupies mind. But this stages goes much smoother than one might think, I suppose.
Best of wishes
User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 16:49

Hi YoungDarth,

Best of luck tomorrow. 

I saw it that tomorrow I will go to sleep and wake up very likely cancer free.  How amazing is that!   I also read all the forecasts for weather(it was December), traffic(I knew the surgeon lived 40 miles down the M6 from Private Hospital profiles), and anything else and had contingency plans to make sure I was there with plenty of time.   I'm a bit of a saddo for planning.   

I woke up ready to go and was out of bed as soon as the drip was removed which was in the morning.  We had a gent nearby who snored like a lion and another with a beeping machine, it took until morning to find my ear plugs.  I was there a second night as my pelvic blood drain was still draining and it was my decision(not everyone has a pelvic drain).

I think the high optimism lasted about a month.   When the first clinic and blood test came onto the horizon it was fingers crossed time and that's how it is for the first few years, a bit up and down, mainly middling.

Best wishes for tomorrow,
Peter

Edited by member 28 Jan 2022 at 16:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Jan 2022 at 19:16

I can't really add anymore than has already been said, other than to say good luck.

I had my prostate removed at Addenbrookes on 21/12/21 and did not find the find the experience unpleasant or scary. It was just something that had to be done.

Ivan

User
Posted 29 Jan 2022 at 10:54

Take a photo of where the strap of the catheter bag should sit on your leg when you're home. Mine slipped down and made it darn uncomfortable to walk in the second week. 

Lots of us have had textbook recoveries; I trust you will too. 

Edited by member 29 Jan 2022 at 11:04  | Reason: Relevant word missed out of original

RP 07.03.20, PSA 4.1, Gleason 3+4=7 

User
Posted 29 Jan 2022 at 13:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Take a photo of where the strap of the catheter bag should sit on your leg when you're home. Mine slipped down and made it darn uncomfortable to walk in the second week. 

Lots of us have had textbook recoveries; I trust you will too. 

KJC 

One of the issues with the catheter setup is that the hospital give you what they have got not necessarily what suits the patient. Another issue at our hospital is the urology ward has alot of trainee nurses. Some hospitals now use the adhesive catheter fixation device, which if fitted correctly eliminates the problem you had and also makes showering much easier. Also worth noting that over half of the images of thigh strap set up on the internet do not fully secure the catheter.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Nov 2023 at 14:32
Hello, 1st post following my RP, agree with a lot of what’s been mentioned above , one thing that did help me greatly was having bed grab/ rail. This was a fantastic help getting up and out of bed.