I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SpacerOAR -

User
Posted 03 Feb 2022 at 21:31

I was diagnosed in November with a Gleason 5+4, PSA 18, T2c - contained, I am 77 and in good health

I would be interested in knowing of any experiences with the fitting of a SpaceOAR rectal shield. My tumor is close to to rectal wall. Now the NHS trial has finished and it's now only available privately, and my family are working to make it possible for me, I am keen to know if it's long term benefits justify the expense. I have requested a second consultation with the Onco at Mount Vernon to ask more questions, but I would really value some independant views.

Being new to this forum, I guess there may be some conversation threads already out there, but I'm not sure how to find them. So any replies on this one would be really welcome. Many thanks in advance

User
Posted 04 Feb 2022 at 01:25
With a T2c, the most important thing is to check first whether you would be suitable for SpaceOar - if the cancer is in the front of the gland, it might be that the rectal spacer would impede the radiotherapy from getting to where it is needed?

I think some hospitals are offering SpaceOar on the NHS although our local hospital (a cancer centre of excellence) has withdrawn from the programme after concluding that it wasn't providing enough benefit to be worth the cost.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2022 at 08:48

Hi Jonadab,

I think as the clinical trials did not show much benefit from SpaceOar. It is probably not worth wasting the cash on it. 

Now I'm not saying it wouldn't be beneficial, it may be; but not sufficiently beneficial to justify the cost. Of course if you have won the lottery or have just sold a private yacht then you may have spare cash and spending it on something which may have limited benefit would be worthwhile.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Feb 2022 at 10:39

Hi,

I had the SpaceOar done privately 11 months ago and it was pretty much straight forward.  Had no issues and sailed through the 37 RT sessions without any side effects other than feeling tired which was probably due to the 1 hour journey to the hospital each day.   Haven't experienced any RT side effects since, so I would say it was well worth it.

Jay

User
Posted 04 Feb 2022 at 12:32
I was quite willing to gather together the funds to pay for a SpaceOar but the Prof. in charge of the oncology unit recommended against it. While there might be some situations where it could be helpful it isn't without potential problems either apparently. I had no problems with radiation causing any damage.

Jules

User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 12:09

Really appreciate all your input, many thanks. My Oncologist was very helpful when I asked for a second consultation on the matter, and he was good enough, when he heard that my family was making sacrifices to make it possible, to recommended I forget it. The reduction from a 6-7% to a 1-2% benefit really wasn't worth the expense. So - on with the 20 RTs!.