I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Not Sleeping with worry

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 13:51

Hi all I have just joined today after another sleepless night worrying about what my biopsy results might be. I went to the doctor for some blood tests and asked if they would do a PSA as well as I was peeing slightly more than usual but not excessive. My PSA came back at 7.5 and I had a biopsy 6 days ago, I cant seem to have any positive thoughts since. Can anyone offer any advice that might help me calm down please?

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 13:51

Hi all I have just joined today after another sleepless night worrying about what my biopsy results might be. I went to the doctor for some blood tests and asked if they would do a PSA as well as I was peeing slightly more than usual but not excessive. My PSA came back at 7.5 and I had a biopsy 6 days ago, I cant seem to have any positive thoughts since. Can anyone offer any advice that might help me calm down please?

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 15:34

I know that the big C will be a shock if indeed you have it, and waiting is very anxiety inducing. However, things are often not as bad as you are imagining at the moment. Most of us are well past your stage, but we all remember it only too well. Unfortunately, it is just a case of waiting for test results at the moment. Lower urinary tract symptoms with peeing are usually incidental, and more likely to be due to enlarged prostate, which is an unrelated condition.

Of course, wishing you all the best, and let us know what happens or if you have any questions in the mean time.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 16:08

Hi Pete,

I recall those night fears.   I found they were worse if I'd had alcohol.   It may seem ridiculous to some but I stopped drinking alcohol altogether for 6 months including months after surgery.  I would never have believed it possible but actually it wasn't difficult.   I now only drink a couple of nights a week.

I also found at the beginning I'd awake and feel alright, then get a sudden fear that something was wrong and I didn't know what it was, then it came back.   After a short period that stopped.   Although the whole episode of diagnosis is a trial from scan to scan and waiting for results.  When I decided what I wanted it began to change to eagerness to get there.  When the op date arrived I was actually excited to have a date and not too far away.  So it's a roller coaster, not one you'd want, but you need to be focussed and know what you want and have to do.

I felt I was lucky to have gone to the GP when I did and lucky he found it when I hadn't asked him to.   My diagnosis went slower than it should but the surgeon made it up and that was also a stroke of luck through a chance remark I made.  It helps to feel some good luck I found.

I sometimes wonder if I worried too much and jumped into a decision, some are fairly relaxed and willing to wait and explore options.   There is often time I now know, although my case was upgraded after the op and I was told it was near the edge which didn't sound good.  

So when you get your diagnosis say what it is and you'll likely get some good advice although your own mind and tolerance of anxiety is often the best for your choices.

All the best
Peter

User
Posted 08 Feb 2022 at 04:00

Hi Pete, it is easy to say don’t worry, but your mind is a powerful computer! I was diagnosed officially in September 2018, I say officially as I had accepted prior to this that it was positive. For me this seemed to help consider my options and what was again the best course of action for me.

I elected for radical robotic prostatectomy, and underwent the surgery on 13th December 2018. A keen runner and active person, it was important to me to recover.

Be positive in your approach to dealing with this, whatever your chosen treatment prepare and plan  well👍

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 14:44
Hi Pete, the good news is that a PSA of 7.5 is pretty likely to be a cancer that is easily treatable. However it will need those biopsy results to tell.

(When I say easily treatable, I mean it is routine with good success rates, not that the experience necessarily seems easy to you).

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 15:03

Thank you J-B, I appreciate your thoughts, I have some days when I am very positive, but when I wake at night I fear the worst with everything to do with it.

Its great to get positive thoughts from this site after not even a whole day. Very nice people taking time out to comment,

Regards

Pete

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 15:34

I know that the big C will be a shock if indeed you have it, and waiting is very anxiety inducing. However, things are often not as bad as you are imagining at the moment. Most of us are well past your stage, but we all remember it only too well. Unfortunately, it is just a case of waiting for test results at the moment. Lower urinary tract symptoms with peeing are usually incidental, and more likely to be due to enlarged prostate, which is an unrelated condition.

Of course, wishing you all the best, and let us know what happens or if you have any questions in the mean time.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 16:08

Hi Pete,

I recall those night fears.   I found they were worse if I'd had alcohol.   It may seem ridiculous to some but I stopped drinking alcohol altogether for 6 months including months after surgery.  I would never have believed it possible but actually it wasn't difficult.   I now only drink a couple of nights a week.

I also found at the beginning I'd awake and feel alright, then get a sudden fear that something was wrong and I didn't know what it was, then it came back.   After a short period that stopped.   Although the whole episode of diagnosis is a trial from scan to scan and waiting for results.  When I decided what I wanted it began to change to eagerness to get there.  When the op date arrived I was actually excited to have a date and not too far away.  So it's a roller coaster, not one you'd want, but you need to be focussed and know what you want and have to do.

I felt I was lucky to have gone to the GP when I did and lucky he found it when I hadn't asked him to.   My diagnosis went slower than it should but the surgeon made it up and that was also a stroke of luck through a chance remark I made.  It helps to feel some good luck I found.

I sometimes wonder if I worried too much and jumped into a decision, some are fairly relaxed and willing to wait and explore options.   There is often time I now know, although my case was upgraded after the op and I was told it was near the edge which didn't sound good.  

So when you get your diagnosis say what it is and you'll likely get some good advice although your own mind and tolerance of anxiety is often the best for your choices.

All the best
Peter

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 16:43

Hi 

I drank too much alcohol fri and saturday as I was out with my 3 boys which made me forget my problems for a bit, then saturday night was awful when I woke during the night, so I have reached the same conclusion as you. No alcohol,

Thank you for your comments which I read and re-read which I find very helpful,

Best regards 

Pete

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 16:46

Thank you Andy any and all the advice I have got so far has really helped me,

Best regards

Pete

User
Posted 08 Feb 2022 at 04:00

Hi Pete, it is easy to say don’t worry, but your mind is a powerful computer! I was diagnosed officially in September 2018, I say officially as I had accepted prior to this that it was positive. For me this seemed to help consider my options and what was again the best course of action for me.

I elected for radical robotic prostatectomy, and underwent the surgery on 13th December 2018. A keen runner and active person, it was important to me to recover.

Be positive in your approach to dealing with this, whatever your chosen treatment prepare and plan  well👍

User
Posted 08 Feb 2022 at 06:13

Thank you, I like to keep active as well in that I walk a lot with my 2 dogs, I`m glad that your recovery went well as that is another worry in that it is unknown how each person will feel  and react to the various treatments.