I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone therapy plus external beam radiotherapy

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 15:21

Just wondering if anyone has had the above treatment for prostate cancer and the outcome of this procedure

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 20:12
Roughly half the men on here have had that treatment, Joe. Completely standard treatment for prostate cancer and has a good success rate. I started my HT in Aug 2018, had RT in Feb/Mar 2019, and finished HT in Feb 2020 (ie I was on it for 18 months). Three years now since my RT and test results are fine and I'm enjoying life.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 06:07

Gleason 9 and PSA  24.9 37 rounds off radiotherapy and hormone therapy for two years PSA now 0.01 and feeling ok minimal effects really from hormone therapy  a year on from radiotherapy feeling generally ok gaz

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 20:12
Roughly half the men on here have had that treatment, Joe. Completely standard treatment for prostate cancer and has a good success rate. I started my HT in Aug 2018, had RT in Feb/Mar 2019, and finished HT in Feb 2020 (ie I was on it for 18 months). Three years now since my RT and test results are fine and I'm enjoying life.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 21:06

Cheers Chris...just overloading mate with all the info on new treatments like HIFU...Cyber knife etc...

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 11:07

Hi chris...what was your Gleason score and Staging mate at time of your diagnosis. 

Kind regards

Joe H

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 18:58
I was G3+4 and T2C, Joe, but because my PSA was considered to be anomalously high at 31, RT was the recommended treatment so they could irradiate the surrounding lymph nodes in case of undetectable spread outside the prostate.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 19:45

Thanks for that Chris. My Gleason score is 3+3=6. Staged atT2c...NO..Mx. Offered 2 treatments on offer

1) Prostatectomy 

2) Radiotherapy with Hormone Therapy.

Did you look at HIFU or Cyber Knife ?

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 19:47
Welcome to the forum, Joe.
I had it done a couple of years ago - RT & HT is a bit of a long drawn out thing, but it worked for me. HT will just about kill any sex urge whilst your on it, but it does return eventually. At least no calving up or General anaesthetic involved.

It's worked for me with minimal side effects. My PSA was 27 in 2018 - I suspect if I had not had it done, I would not be typing this message to you now.
It's a bleak choice.
User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 19:56

Thanks for that input Bob. Doing a bit of reading up on HIFU and Cyber knife. Do you know of thes non evasive relatively new treatments for prostate cancer ?

User
Posted 07 Feb 2022 at 21:55
Joe, with a T2c you probably aren't suitable for focal treatment like cyberknife or HIFU. You need the whole gland treating so radical treatment. Did they tell you whether the surgery would be nerve sparing or non-nerve sparing? If non-nerve sparing, that is a good reason to give radiotherapy some serious consideration. If you are fancying something a bit exciting / innovative, ask your onco about brachytherapy or brachytherapy + external beam RT?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Feb 2022 at 00:56

Thanks lyn for the info. Early stages but quite a lot to ponder on !

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 00:31

Thanks lyn...

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 06:07

Gleason 9 and PSA  24.9 37 rounds off radiotherapy and hormone therapy for two years PSA now 0.01 and feeling ok minimal effects really from hormone therapy  a year on from radiotherapy feeling generally ok gaz

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 06:09

Forgot to say bone scan clear after biopsy 

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 08:33

Thanks for info ! 

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:38

no worries good luck whatever you decide 👍