Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiation vs surgery for receptive sex

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 03:27

Hi all,

Single gay man who is having to currently chose between surgery and radiotherapy for prostate cancer. Are there any folk here that have direct experience as the receptive person (bottom) following either surgery or radio therapy and can let me know whether sex has continued to be enjoyable, painful, impossible post treatment and which treatment you opted for?

Many thanks,

Paul

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:32

Hi Paul,

I had decided for RP on April 2018 and after 6 months I was starting receptive sex. I needed to get used to be more just one type of profile in sex, but it has become better over time and I can say now I like more now receptive sex than before. So surgery didn't affect in any way, on the contrary.

However the progression of the disease wasn't as nice as I had expected, so I had salvage radiation already last year in August and I had to get used to sex again. If I may say so, for exclusive receptive persons, RP is better in my view, as I am feeling much more comfort with this type of sex and even better pleasure than before surgery. As for sex after RT, we need to lubricate the area more, but also good. As it is still early after RT, I guess, it will get better still.

I would gladly speak more about this, but I rather do it in private messages if you don't mind. If you want to continue the conversation send me a message. I will gladly share more :-)

I wish you the best of luck.

Paulo

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:51
And this is what our forum does best ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ‘
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 20:07

Thank you everyone for your really useful comments. Personally, I am leaning much more towards radiotherapy as I am still quite young and the surgeon told me that in my case ED would be a big deal and ED meds will not help a great deal. I also don't really want to go under the knife and have the long recovery period. Plus there is the climacturia. I am also at fairly high risk of microscopic metastatic disease spread and the radiation oncologist tells me that RT takes wider margins and reduces my chances of spread where as 30% of patients that have undergone RP end up with some RT within a few years of surgery.

Concerned about the effect this will all have on my rectum as a receptive partner in anal sex, but the stats are quit good and everyone is different, so no real way of knowing. Erections should also be better (initially) and although have a chance of dysfunction 5-10 years after RT, ED meds can help.

If any bottoms out there had RT as first line treatment, I'd really be keen to hear from you. I am so happy to hear that many of you are enjoying receptive sex post RP - that's amazing!

Do feel free to message me privately but as a new member, I cannot reply for a bit, it seems!

Take care and greetings from Christchurch, New Zealand x

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 00:42
Hi Paul, there are just a few members who are gay, bi or MESM but perhaps none have logged on in the last couple of days. I think it is worth you calling the PCUK nurses (number above) who will hopefully be able to put you in touch with one or two mentors (volunteer men who have had treatment and are happy to chat to those newly diagnosed) who understand your context. There used to be Sean who ran the GBTM prostate cancer support group although I am not sure if that has kept going through COVID.

I think it will be really helpful for you to talk to others - a common frustration is that straight medical staff donโ€™t necessarily understand the significance of a man being a top or a bottom in terms of treatment side effects. Ring the nurses - they are lovely

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:07

There is also an excellent Facebook group "Prostate Cancer and Gay, Bisexual Men & Transgender Women" that is getting progressively more open about intimate matters at https://www.facebook.com/groups/prostatecanerandgaymen

User
Posted 09 Feb 2022 at 03:27

Hi all,

Single gay man who is having to currently chose between surgery and radiotherapy for prostate cancer. Are there any folk here that have direct experience as the receptive person (bottom) following either surgery or radio therapy and can let me know whether sex has continued to be enjoyable, painful, impossible post treatment and which treatment you opted for?

Many thanks,

Paul

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:18

Also, my personal answer to your question is as follows. I had Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy surgery nearly two years ago. I don't have a male partner but lots of receptive anal play. It took me almost exactly 100 days to want to receive any more than a fingertip. When I did, it was a roughly human-sized toy, and it felt great. Since then I have found I really enjoy receiving penetration. It doesn't hurt and I don't feel it is a risk to my physical health. From a sexual perspective it is - how shall I say it? - almost as nice as before. In other words, still feels great, but definitely having a prostate added to the overall pleasure. And also my nature has also shifted more towards receiving, so at a deep level it is sometimes more satisfying than before.

I am learning to live with - and be grateful for - my new normal, and still being able to have orgasmic and loving sex.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 14:48

So glad to read some experiences of other gay/bi men. I'm due radiotherapy and dreading losing the ability to have a prostate orgasm. Not only the loss to my sex life but a real scare is it will cause a loss of intimacy between me and my partner. What with that and the hot flushes keeping me awake from the testosterone blocker I'm feeling kinda frazzled!

Has there ever been a study done on the effect of treatment on prostate orgasms and the knock-on emotional effect? I think it would be worthy of research.

Neil

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 14:30
I only know about straight orgasm and it now late to find out the difference as I no longer have a prostate โ˜น๏ธ.

Orgasm is different after prostate removal, i am definitely more female in my response! It usually takes longer and is sometimes elusive even if I am fully aroused and really up for it, sometimes it just won't happen.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 00:42
Hi Paul, there are just a few members who are gay, bi or MESM but perhaps none have logged on in the last couple of days. I think it is worth you calling the PCUK nurses (number above) who will hopefully be able to put you in touch with one or two mentors (volunteer men who have had treatment and are happy to chat to those newly diagnosed) who understand your context. There used to be Sean who ran the GBTM prostate cancer support group although I am not sure if that has kept going through COVID.

I think it will be really helpful for you to talk to others - a common frustration is that straight medical staff donโ€™t necessarily understand the significance of a man being a top or a bottom in terms of treatment side effects. Ring the nurses - they are lovely

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 06:04

Thanks so much Lyn. Much appreciated. 
best,

Paul

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:07

There is also an excellent Facebook group "Prostate Cancer and Gay, Bisexual Men & Transgender Women" that is getting progressively more open about intimate matters at https://www.facebook.com/groups/prostatecanerandgaymen

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:18

Also, my personal answer to your question is as follows. I had Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy surgery nearly two years ago. I don't have a male partner but lots of receptive anal play. It took me almost exactly 100 days to want to receive any more than a fingertip. When I did, it was a roughly human-sized toy, and it felt great. Since then I have found I really enjoy receiving penetration. It doesn't hurt and I don't feel it is a risk to my physical health. From a sexual perspective it is - how shall I say it? - almost as nice as before. In other words, still feels great, but definitely having a prostate added to the overall pleasure. And also my nature has also shifted more towards receiving, so at a deep level it is sometimes more satisfying than before.

I am learning to live with - and be grateful for - my new normal, and still being able to have orgasmic and loving sex.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:32

Hi Paul,

I had decided for RP on April 2018 and after 6 months I was starting receptive sex. I needed to get used to be more just one type of profile in sex, but it has become better over time and I can say now I like more now receptive sex than before. So surgery didn't affect in any way, on the contrary.

However the progression of the disease wasn't as nice as I had expected, so I had salvage radiation already last year in August and I had to get used to sex again. If I may say so, for exclusive receptive persons, RP is better in my view, as I am feeling much more comfort with this type of sex and even better pleasure than before surgery. As for sex after RT, we need to lubricate the area more, but also good. As it is still early after RT, I guess, it will get better still.

I would gladly speak more about this, but I rather do it in private messages if you don't mind. If you want to continue the conversation send me a message. I will gladly share more :-)

I wish you the best of luck.

Paulo

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 11:51
And this is what our forum does best ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 11 Feb 2022 at 20:07

Thank you everyone for your really useful comments. Personally, I am leaning much more towards radiotherapy as I am still quite young and the surgeon told me that in my case ED would be a big deal and ED meds will not help a great deal. I also don't really want to go under the knife and have the long recovery period. Plus there is the climacturia. I am also at fairly high risk of microscopic metastatic disease spread and the radiation oncologist tells me that RT takes wider margins and reduces my chances of spread where as 30% of patients that have undergone RP end up with some RT within a few years of surgery.

Concerned about the effect this will all have on my rectum as a receptive partner in anal sex, but the stats are quit good and everyone is different, so no real way of knowing. Erections should also be better (initially) and although have a chance of dysfunction 5-10 years after RT, ED meds can help.

If any bottoms out there had RT as first line treatment, I'd really be keen to hear from you. I am so happy to hear that many of you are enjoying receptive sex post RP - that's amazing!

Do feel free to message me privately but as a new member, I cannot reply for a bit, it seems!

Take care and greetings from Christchurch, New Zealand x

User
Posted 06 Nov 2023 at 14:48

So glad to read some experiences of other gay/bi men. I'm due radiotherapy and dreading losing the ability to have a prostate orgasm. Not only the loss to my sex life but a real scare is it will cause a loss of intimacy between me and my partner. What with that and the hot flushes keeping me awake from the testosterone blocker I'm feeling kinda frazzled!

Has there ever been a study done on the effect of treatment on prostate orgasms and the knock-on emotional effect? I think it would be worthy of research.

Neil

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 08:35

I was initially keen on radiotherapy, but ultimately was put off mainly due to requiring 18 months of hormone treatment.

Now about 2.5 months post op, still not game to attempt bottoming. I am thinking to wait till 6 months before doing so.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 14:30
I only know about straight orgasm and it now late to find out the difference as I no longer have a prostate โ˜น๏ธ.

Orgasm is different after prostate removal, i am definitely more female in my response! It usually takes longer and is sometimes elusive even if I am fully aroused and really up for it, sometimes it just won't happen.