I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bicalutamide and Goserelin (Zoladex)

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 17:58

I am aware of the possible side effects of hormone therapy, but can anyone out there tell me their experience with 6 months of treatment, and how long to gain some normality after treatment stops?

I have just got my prescription now and it is for Bicalutamide tablets and Goserelin (Zoladex) implant. anyone had similar?

Edited by member 10 Feb 2022 at 19:18  | Reason: Clarification

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 22:22
The bicalutimide is usually just for 2 to 4 weeks; you start the injections in a couple of weeks time and then stop taking the tablets. You shouldn't experience many side effects from the bicalutimide over such a short time - a bit of breathlessness, perhaps.

I will let others tell you about their experiences of Zoladex.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 23:00

Hi Mancsteve,

I can talk to the first part of your question, but not, yet the second.

I've been on Zoladex  for 12 months now, and Bical for 6 months ( which is way longer than you will have to deal with). The Bical was prescribed to provide a bit of belt and braces tumour bashing prior to RT, expected last autumn. In the event, that wasn't to be, and the meds have been continued pending a new treatment strategy.

The Zoladex brought its usual  friends- a bit of weight gain; hot flushes- but that has been pretty consistent. Everyone is different, but I have found the side effects to be inconvenient rather than life changing.

I have had Bical twice. The first was- like you- a 4 week stint to accompany my main HT ( at that time, Prostap). I had no notable effects that I couldn't ascribe to the Prostap.

This time round, the Bical has noticeably increased the muscle loss; I have lost a bit more pace and stamina on long runs; and my boobs have grown a bit ( and become a bit painful).  But I have been on it a while. Again, nothing I can't live with, but as you will see from another current thread I am looking to see when I can sensibly start the process of getting off the hormones prior to an RP.

I am working on the assumption that it will take several months for the effects to work their way out of the system. If you dig around on here, you will find a few references to that, though there is not much hard data on decay rates.

The initial 4 week burst of Bical which you are on is intended to be a short term thing, both in the duration of the dosing and its retention in the body- it is there to protect against any flare which can sometimes occur in the early stages of treatment with the Prostaps and Zoladexes of this world . As Lyn says, you probably won't notice the Bical element of the medication.

One tip- if you have not already done so, get a testosterone check alongside your PSA tests. I wasted 6 months finding out that the Prostap was not doing its job on inhibiting testosterone production

Best of luck 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 22:22
The bicalutimide is usually just for 2 to 4 weeks; you start the injections in a couple of weeks time and then stop taking the tablets. You shouldn't experience many side effects from the bicalutimide over such a short time - a bit of breathlessness, perhaps.

I will let others tell you about their experiences of Zoladex.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 23:00

Hi Mancsteve,

I can talk to the first part of your question, but not, yet the second.

I've been on Zoladex  for 12 months now, and Bical for 6 months ( which is way longer than you will have to deal with). The Bical was prescribed to provide a bit of belt and braces tumour bashing prior to RT, expected last autumn. In the event, that wasn't to be, and the meds have been continued pending a new treatment strategy.

The Zoladex brought its usual  friends- a bit of weight gain; hot flushes- but that has been pretty consistent. Everyone is different, but I have found the side effects to be inconvenient rather than life changing.

I have had Bical twice. The first was- like you- a 4 week stint to accompany my main HT ( at that time, Prostap). I had no notable effects that I couldn't ascribe to the Prostap.

This time round, the Bical has noticeably increased the muscle loss; I have lost a bit more pace and stamina on long runs; and my boobs have grown a bit ( and become a bit painful).  But I have been on it a while. Again, nothing I can't live with, but as you will see from another current thread I am looking to see when I can sensibly start the process of getting off the hormones prior to an RP.

I am working on the assumption that it will take several months for the effects to work their way out of the system. If you dig around on here, you will find a few references to that, though there is not much hard data on decay rates.

The initial 4 week burst of Bical which you are on is intended to be a short term thing, both in the duration of the dosing and its retention in the body- it is there to protect against any flare which can sometimes occur in the early stages of treatment with the Prostaps and Zoladexes of this world . As Lyn says, you probably won't notice the Bical element of the medication.

One tip- if you have not already done so, get a testosterone check alongside your PSA tests. I wasted 6 months finding out that the Prostap was not doing its job on inhibiting testosterone production

Best of luck