Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA let us down..

User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 13:06

Hello to all,

Let me pls share my story and pls excuse my English.

My man, 57 years old, was diagnosed in December 2020, with Grade 4, Gleason 4+5.

He immediately, start chemo (6 cycles) finished on June 2021 and Zoladex every 3 months.

He was doing well, PSA was around 0. On December 2021 his PSA was around 1.30 thus dr repeat it on January. In the meantime he had a bone scan. Januarys results showed 1.59 PSA and bone scan some new shadows but not clear to say something.

Now, the doctor ask for a new PET scan and a repetition of PSA.

Just to mention, that he is a really strong man.

What is your stories/opinions on that progress?

User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 20:46
It may be that the zoladex isn't working well enough on its own and another hormone probably needs to be added - not sure what's available in your country but in the UK, they might start enzalutimide, abiraterone or just add bicalutimide tablets. Do you have health cover or would you have to pay for any treatments yourself? Abiraterone and Enzalutimide are very expensive in the UK - about £2500 per month.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 23:05
Not necessarily- sometimes it is just about finding the right combination of drugs.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2022 at 08:18

Hopefully a different treatment will sort the psa out. My husband age 55 was diagnosed with grade 4 in 2020 with bone mets. Abiraterone was great for 1 year. Our journey is tough now as he is not responding to doxetacle. Looking at other treatment options. Hope things are improving for your partner. Best wishes 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 20:46
It may be that the zoladex isn't working well enough on its own and another hormone probably needs to be added - not sure what's available in your country but in the UK, they might start enzalutimide, abiraterone or just add bicalutimide tablets. Do you have health cover or would you have to pay for any treatments yourself? Abiraterone and Enzalutimide are very expensive in the UK - about £2500 per month.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 21:14

Thank you so much for the response 🙏 I guess that means a poor prognosis? I mean, by not reacting to treatment so early, that means the disease is progressing fast? Thank you again

User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 23:05
Not necessarily- sometimes it is just about finding the right combination of drugs.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2022 at 08:18

Hopefully a different treatment will sort the psa out. My husband age 55 was diagnosed with grade 4 in 2020 with bone mets. Abiraterone was great for 1 year. Our journey is tough now as he is not responding to doxetacle. Looking at other treatment options. Hope things are improving for your partner. Best wishes