Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High PSA awaiting biopsy results

User
Posted 12 Feb 2022 at 14:45

Hi everyone,

Just prior to Christmas I received a call from brother informing me of his prostate cancer diagnosis. Given this runs in the family I requested a PSA test and the results were very worrying. I has had a level of 74. I've had a bone scan which came back as fine apart from highlighting a herniated disc with accounted for my intermittent back pain over the last 20 years or so. I've had an MRI and CT scan and am awaiting my biopsy results. I'm awaiting a PET scan. The CT scan highlighted a slightly abnormal lymph node which is why the PET scan has been ordered. Also a very high probability of cancer on left side of prostate ( both internal exam and PSA prepared me for this). I'm having good and bad days and going through the roller coaster of emotions. Unfortunately I was born with one kidney, which functions very well but it sits in from of my rotate which would rule out external beam therapy. I guess I just have to wait for all the results but is frustrating, as I know you are all aware. Just felt the need to articulate my concerns who understand and hope to be able to offer support to others in the future.

Cheers Cole.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2022 at 14:51
Prostate cancer doesn't run in families as such - but being a man makes it highly likely that you will get prostate cancer at some point if you live long enough. About 5% of prostate cancers are thought to be genetic - so not just whether your brother has it but if you have close female relatives who were diagnosed with breast cancer in their 30s or 40s, close male relatives who were diagnosed with PCa in their 40s or early 50s or breast cancer at any age, close female relatives who have had uterine or ovarian cancer, then it may be that there is a gene fault.

As you have realised, the DRE finding is indicative and you are preparing for the news that you have cancer although it is by no means certain. If the biopsy does confirm cancer, it will be important to meet an oncologist as well as an urologist in order to discuss your kidney issue - depending on where the cancer is and how much there is, it may be that brachytherapy or a more targeted focal treatment is possible.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Feb 2022 at 15:52

Hi, yes as Lyn says Brachytherapy or other alternative treatment could be higher in your list of priorities and it's worth knowing what is available on the NHS or what they're willing to do due to your unusual case, such as a combination of treatments.  Particularly with you being a younger case and perhaps more able to tolerate treatments.  All the best Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Feb 2022 at 14:51
Prostate cancer doesn't run in families as such - but being a man makes it highly likely that you will get prostate cancer at some point if you live long enough. About 5% of prostate cancers are thought to be genetic - so not just whether your brother has it but if you have close female relatives who were diagnosed with breast cancer in their 30s or 40s, close male relatives who were diagnosed with PCa in their 40s or early 50s or breast cancer at any age, close female relatives who have had uterine or ovarian cancer, then it may be that there is a gene fault.

As you have realised, the DRE finding is indicative and you are preparing for the news that you have cancer although it is by no means certain. If the biopsy does confirm cancer, it will be important to meet an oncologist as well as an urologist in order to discuss your kidney issue - depending on where the cancer is and how much there is, it may be that brachytherapy or a more targeted focal treatment is possible.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Feb 2022 at 15:52

Hi, yes as Lyn says Brachytherapy or other alternative treatment could be higher in your list of priorities and it's worth knowing what is available on the NHS or what they're willing to do due to your unusual case, such as a combination of treatments.  Particularly with you being a younger case and perhaps more able to tolerate treatments.  All the best Peter

User
Posted 14 Feb 2022 at 19:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Prostate cancer doesn't run in families as such

I've come across some Black African families where every male gets prostate cancer well before age 60.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2022 at 21:08
Yes, PCUK and NHS have run awareness campaigns for years, targeting Black Caribbean men who are more at risk and statistically less likely to see a GP so tend to be diagnosed late. There is no evidence of BRCA1 / BRCA2 being more prevalent in BC families but there are couple of other gene lines of interest.
Another minority group, Ashkenazi Jews, have a higher presence of BRCA - there is a poster in our GP practice encouraging Ashkenazi men to book a PSA test.
User
Posted 25 Feb 2022 at 08:46

Hi Cole,

My apologies, but I've only just seen this thread. You may wish to peruse my stats or personal story?

I'm an official "medical man of mystery". My first ever PSA test came in at 131 ug/L. Uncountable scans later a secondary has still yet to be discovered. After a positive biopsy I had more scans before a robotic radical prostatectomy, after which my PSA was "undetectable".

That is no longer the case, and sometimes I wonder if they'd let Leo loose on my nether regions ASAP after the biopsy my ultimate tiny positive margin would have been zero.

Your mileage may vary of course. We are all different.

Best wishes,

Jim

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein