I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ache in area below scrotum

User
Posted 04 Mar 2022 at 20:11

is it normal to get an ache between the legs below scrotum with an enlarged prostate ? Doc says its just enlarged do i just live with it?

First time on here Many thanks

User
Posted 04 Mar 2022 at 22:16

Though that is where the prostate is, it is unusual to get an ache there from prostitis. I expect an enlarged prostate could be pressing on something else nearby.

There have been a few posts on here about GPs thinking prostate cancer is a very old man's disease, and that even high PSA is acceptable as it is such a slow disease you will probably die of something else first.

Though I can understand this point of view, and I think a prostate cancer screening program would do more harm than good. If you have symptoms in the prostate it should be investigated. You need to know your PSA, do not be palmed off with "I don't think that's appropriate" if you are over 50 you can demand the test. When you get the results do not be palmed off with "it's normal" you need to know the exact figure, if it is over 4 it should be investigated further. If it is over 2, I would want another test in a year to see how fast it is rising.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Mar 2022 at 22:59

Wise words as always from Dave 👍

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 11:16

Dave's comment about about being told 'it's normal' is a point well made. Last year, when I phoned my GPs surgery to get the result of a PSA blood test, I was told the lab had noted 'normal, no action required'. Of course, I insisted on being told the exact figure which was 3.6. This was a progressive rise over the last three quarterly tests (I was on AS at the time) and led to me being referred to hospital, after I had requested to speak with my GP. Following MRI and TP biopsy, I underwent surgery and post op pathology showed T3a. IMHO, a lab should only report specifics and  has no business to make subjective notations in isolation of patient history. 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 17:14
It isn’t the lab that makes subjective comments like this - it is either the GP (having not read the patient’s notes) or the administrator. In our case, we got so tired of the repetitive discussion with the receptionist every 3 months (“it’s normal” “could you tell me the actual reading because I don’t have a prostate?” “ it’s 0.13” ) that I wrote to the practice manager 😡
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 17:48

My last result from my GP read.

Serum PSA level 0.99 ug/L (0.0-5.0)

Where PSA exeeds the age related reference limit , suggest refer to a urologist via the two week wait pathway for further assessment.

Normal 

No further action.

When I queried it with the doctor, someone replied for you age it is normal, when I asked who was answering my question , the reply was reception.

I have seen other lab results that give ages and acceptable levels with no mention of men without prostates etc.

Fortunately I have more knowledge of psa than our receptionist and possibly more knowledge of psa than the GP who reported the result as normal.

Thanks Chris