Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Glass of red wine?

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 11:08

Hi all. 

am 6 weeks this Monday post RALP and was wondering if a glass of red wine will be ok now? 

I have heard that beer makes incontinence worse? Just fancy a glass or two one evening. 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 13:02

I think there are people on here who had their first glass of wine on the drive home from the operation.

So the short answer is yes. Things like caffeine and alcohol may irritate the bladder a little. So yes start with one glass and observe if you have any problems, I think you won't and if you do they will probably be easily managed. Then progressively work up until you are on two bottles a night. You have to die of something, make sure it isn't prostate cancer, by over indulging in all the vices.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 08:38

Just in case anyone was wondering, the couple of glasses of red went down like a treat! 

I didn’t end up pissing more than usual at all and even had a dry night again so I put it down to the wine 😂 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 20:19

My OH had his op 21/12/21 so very close to Christmas and new year. He didn’t have a lot to drink over that period but definitely the odd one. By 6 weeks post op we had had a couple of nights out and a little more drinking. He definitely finds he needs to go more after the alcohol (but don’t we all) and very occasionally has leaked but not much. Hope you’re having your wine and bloody enjoying it! Cheers 🍷

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 21:45
I find a G&T, being lower in volume, aids in reducing bladder fullness. I can manage two G&Ts before I have to pee, after the third I don't really care if I pee my pants or not!

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 12:26

Hi After my Brachytherpy in 2016 i carried on drinking white wine the same as before the operation but cannot say it made a great difference in my toilet visits and was getting up three times a night.I found that beer made me go more but maybe because of the volume and gave up beer and lager mainly because of my gout that was returning ever two years.I think i have been very lucky with no real problems over the last 5 years and have two cups of tea a day but that has not changed from before operation.

Regards John.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 19:56

Best treatment plan on here! 🤣

I have a proper bottle set aside for the occasion!

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 17:33

My support team at Guildford said there is no harm in a glass or two of wine ……… although they didn’t stipulate the size of the glass!

Zum

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 18:13

Eight months on from my RARP I find that beer and wine don't affect me any more than they ever did, but coffee and tea have me sprinting to the bathroom with my pelvic floor in a panic

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 13:02

I think there are people on here who had their first glass of wine on the drive home from the operation.

So the short answer is yes. Things like caffeine and alcohol may irritate the bladder a little. So yes start with one glass and observe if you have any problems, I think you won't and if you do they will probably be easily managed. Then progressively work up until you are on two bottles a night. You have to die of something, make sure it isn't prostate cancer, by over indulging in all the vices.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 15:36

Thanks Dave! That did make me roar with laughter 😂😂

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 19:56

Best treatment plan on here! 🤣

I have a proper bottle set aside for the occasion!

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 20:19

My OH had his op 21/12/21 so very close to Christmas and new year. He didn’t have a lot to drink over that period but definitely the odd one. By 6 weeks post op we had had a couple of nights out and a little more drinking. He definitely finds he needs to go more after the alcohol (but don’t we all) and very occasionally has leaked but not much. Hope you’re having your wine and bloody enjoying it! Cheers 🍷

User
Posted 05 Mar 2022 at 21:45
I find a G&T, being lower in volume, aids in reducing bladder fullness. I can manage two G&Ts before I have to pee, after the third I don't really care if I pee my pants or not!

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 12:26

Hi After my Brachytherpy in 2016 i carried on drinking white wine the same as before the operation but cannot say it made a great difference in my toilet visits and was getting up three times a night.I found that beer made me go more but maybe because of the volume and gave up beer and lager mainly because of my gout that was returning ever two years.I think i have been very lucky with no real problems over the last 5 years and have two cups of tea a day but that has not changed from before operation.

Regards John.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 17:33

My support team at Guildford said there is no harm in a glass or two of wine ……… although they didn’t stipulate the size of the glass!

Zum

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 08:38

Just in case anyone was wondering, the couple of glasses of red went down like a treat! 

I didn’t end up pissing more than usual at all and even had a dry night again so I put it down to the wine 😂 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 18:13

Eight months on from my RARP I find that beer and wine don't affect me any more than they ever did, but coffee and tea have me sprinting to the bathroom with my pelvic floor in a panic