Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone-only Treatment

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 07:58

Good morning - I’m a new member.
I’d welcome any experiences/advice that can be offered by any members who are having their prostate cancer treated/controlled solely by the use of hormones. Due to the discovery of (Asymptomatic) Myeloma shortly after a diagnosis of T2C Prostate Cancer (Gleason 7; 3 + 4) (yes - a sub-optimal start to 2022!) my scheduled radical prostatectomy has been put on hold and I’ve learned from my haematologist that the urologists - with whom I’m speaking later this week - may now be considering a ‘hormone-only option’. I’d be grateful for comments etc. Nick.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 09:18

Well, HT for the rest of your life (Your only 64) would not be an option for me. !!
If the Onco is OK with it, I would go for Radio therapy if I were you. Then if all goes well, you would be off HT after about a year.

HT leaves you weak, no interest in the opposite sex, & prone to any bugs that may be about.
The worst bind about RT is the 20 visits over a month to your hospital. A small price for saving your life.

"But you pays your money, & makes your choice."

Edited by member 06 Mar 2022 at 09:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 10:32

I agree radiotherapy if possible hormone therapy has its problems been on it for 13months it's not great not felt 100per cent from first injection but tolerable if it's a must much better than the alternative 🙄

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 10:51

HT will only work for a few years, sometimes as few as two, usually less than five, but occasionally over twenty. So Radiotherapy, HIFU, brachytherapy may all cure you but HT will not.

Prostate cancer is a slow disease, you could opt for active surveillance, if it isn't getting worse you may live a long life anyway. If it does need treatment I think you should still aim for a curative one. If no curative treatment is possible do not go on the HT until you are getting unpleasant symptoms. By which time the cancer will be widespread, but at least you will have had fun up until then, and may get a few more years.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 09:18

Well, HT for the rest of your life (Your only 64) would not be an option for me. !!
If the Onco is OK with it, I would go for Radio therapy if I were you. Then if all goes well, you would be off HT after about a year.

HT leaves you weak, no interest in the opposite sex, & prone to any bugs that may be about.
The worst bind about RT is the 20 visits over a month to your hospital. A small price for saving your life.

"But you pays your money, & makes your choice."

Edited by member 06 Mar 2022 at 09:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 10:32

I agree radiotherapy if possible hormone therapy has its problems been on it for 13months it's not great not felt 100per cent from first injection but tolerable if it's a must much better than the alternative 🙄

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 10:51

HT will only work for a few years, sometimes as few as two, usually less than five, but occasionally over twenty. So Radiotherapy, HIFU, brachytherapy may all cure you but HT will not.

Prostate cancer is a slow disease, you could opt for active surveillance, if it isn't getting worse you may live a long life anyway. If it does need treatment I think you should still aim for a curative one. If no curative treatment is possible do not go on the HT until you are getting unpleasant symptoms. By which time the cancer will be widespread, but at least you will have had fun up until then, and may get a few more years.

Dave