Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about appointment and leg pain

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 16:02

Hi,

really wanted to reach out in case anyone has been through similar to my lovely husband.

hes 74 and has just had a biopsy following a routine psa test which came out at 7. Had an mri which apparently showed an area of suspicion on one side of the prostate so then had biopsy.

we go to get results on Tuesday the 8th. In the meantime my husband is complaining more of aches in his thighs which has been a thing for a little while. Now terrified that this means any cancer has spread.

would really welcome some experiences or support 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 11:16

My husband developed aches and pains in hips and shoulder soon after diagnosis. There was some worry from me as suddenly he found it difficult to put his shoes and socks on. After tests,he has a form of rheumatism and is suddenly almost back to normal on medication. It is true that you see every ache and pain as related to cancer but try not to panic and think of it as aches and pains of age.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 19:27
You should feel positive. Localised prostate cancer is an eminently treatable condition.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 19:45

Yes positive news. I think I felt a little bit the same. I’d imagined my husbands cancer was literally all over his body but when they told us it was more localised spread (although I wish he had nothing) there was a bit of relief too. Fingers crossed it can just be AS for your husband and life can be good x

User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 21:57

Thanks. Your speedy replies and support have been more helpful than I can say. Will continue to keep you posted and I wish you the very best 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 23:30

Hi, once you have cancer you attribute every ache and pain to cancer. The MRI could have shown spread of cancer it is not great at that particular type of imaging but if spread has not been mentioned so far that is good news.

At 74 it would have been more of a surprise if he did not have prostate cancer. 75% of men that age have cancer, but it is usually harmless.

PSA might give you a clue. If it is less than 20 spread is less likely if it is over 100 spread is quite likely. 

Now we have had people with a PSA of 4 and the cancer had spread and people with a PSA of 80 and not even had cancer. So PSA is far from accurate, but as I say PSA less than 20 probably not spread. 

Dave

User
Posted 06 Mar 2022 at 23:39

Hello, 

My hubby was 73 when he was diagnosed last year, before we got the results from the MRI he got a phone call to give him an appointment for a bone scan! At that moment I realised he had previously said about some pain in his hip, shoulder and had been treated for some pain in his foot. He’d also had a clearing the throat kind of cough for over 2 years 🤦🏻‍♀️ My world fell apart and my mind went into complete overdrive imagining that he had cancer all over his body. As it turned out he didn’t and it was just in the prostate and one lymph node. As Dave said it’s really natural to attribute everything to cancer but it usually isn’t. It’s difficult not to worry but we all get normal aches and pains as we get older. Wishing your husband all the very best with his results.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 07:47

Thanks so much for this. Will post an update following the appointment. Trying to keep busy today to keep my overactive mind away from catastrophe 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 07:48

Thanks that’s really helpful. Will update after the appointment.

hope all is well with you 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 08:24
Hi Banana Loaf, all the best for the appointment. You are now on a very slow road with a lot of waiting. And do not forget to look after yourself as well. That is actually equally important.
User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 08:45
Much appreciated and yes I’m sure that’s very true. All the best to you
User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 11:16

My husband developed aches and pains in hips and shoulder soon after diagnosis. There was some worry from me as suddenly he found it difficult to put his shoes and socks on. After tests,he has a form of rheumatism and is suddenly almost back to normal on medication. It is true that you see every ache and pain as related to cancer but try not to panic and think of it as aches and pains of age.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 11:49
Thanks for your reply. Yes the mind races ahead!!
User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 11:52

It really does and you will have moments of panic as well as calm...this community is brilliant at answering questions

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 14:17
What is his PSA?

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 14:22
It’s 7
User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 17:46

For prostate cancer to be causing noticeable symptoms there would need to be a lot of cancer cells, and a lot of cancer cells would cause a PSA of perhaps 50 or more. Now there are a few very rare variations on prostate cancer which could cause symptoms with a low PSA, but these are so rare you need not worry about them.

There is a small chance the cancer has spread, that is always possible, but with a PSA that low they will be micro mets and not causing any pain. 

So at the moment, I would say there is no evidence of spread and your husband's leg pains are not caused by cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 18:11
Thanks for your reply. I’ll update after the appointment but your support is greatly appreciated. Hope all good with you
User
Posted 08 Mar 2022 at 12:28

So the appointment has been cancelled for today as the results aren’t back. We were just getting ready to leave when we got the call. Stress levels are sky high. They now hope to have them “by the end of the week “

User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 19:25

We went for the biopsy results today. Overall I think they were positive.

yes my husband has prostate cancer (which we expected tbh)!but it is Gleason 7 3+4 and as his psa is 7 this may mean that surveillance is the way forward.

as he’s previously had pelvic surgery and radiotherapy for bowel cancer 15 years ago we are going to discuss future management with a surgeon and oncologist. Amazingly we’re feeling quite positive tonight 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 19:27
You should feel positive. Localised prostate cancer is an eminently treatable condition.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 19:45

Yes positive news. I think I felt a little bit the same. I’d imagined my husbands cancer was literally all over his body but when they told us it was more localised spread (although I wish he had nothing) there was a bit of relief too. Fingers crossed it can just be AS for your husband and life can be good x

User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 21:57

Thanks. Your speedy replies and support have been more helpful than I can say. Will continue to keep you posted and I wish you the very best