Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 5.8 and sciatica

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 15:30

Hi All,

I'm 61 and recently had a health MOT at the doctor, the blood tests were normal apart from the PSA which was 5.8.

The doctor immediately referred me to the local hospital where I had an MRI with contrast dye 10 days later.

Around 6 years ago my PSA was 2.6 so its been rising over the last few years. I haven't had a DR exam yet as the Docs are only seeing people via phone at present.

Some other issues which has me worried is that I appear to have sciatica in my right leg. I've been getting shooting pains whilst stretching and there is a constant ache in my lower buttock. Nurofen plus seems to help so I assume the nerve is somehow inflamed, Googling sciatica and prostate suggests advanced prostate cancer, so I hope this isn't the case.

Something else I noticed last year was very cloudy urine which I assume was an infection though that episode passed and hasn't reoccurred.

I don't have much trouble with urine flow, I don't get up in the night but I am prone to dribbling, but this has been the case for years. I probably do have ED but put this down to getting older and loss of interest.

I'm having a phone consultation with the Urologist later this week and am worried about what the initial diagnosis will be and any reassurance would be welcome.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 16:04
With a PSA of 5.8 you're vanishingly unlikely to have advanced prostate cancer, unless it's some rare and exotic species of PCa which doesn't raise PSA. This does happen, but it's exceedingly rare. Odds are that your sciatica is just that.

At your age about 60% of men do have prostate cancer. If you do have localised prostate cancer you get it treated and get on with life.

Don't make assumptions and don't consult "Dr Google". Just wait for the diagnostic process to reach a conclusion and then you'll know where you stand.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 16:13
I have been dogged by worsening sciatic / buttock pain since first diagnosed 7 years ago.

Since my hip replacement 6 months ago it has all resolved!

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 16:57

Thanks for the reassurance guys, will update following the meeting with the Urologist.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2022 at 18:20
your description sounds an awful lot like Sciatica and when I get an attack (every couple month) I have been treating it as per my chiropraktor's suggestion with ice packs as according to him that will stop the inflamation and swelling of the nerve.
User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 10:30
Spoke with the Urologist this morning, he said the MRI showed a couple of small lesions, one about 5mm and the other 2mm.

He said these are probably benign or maybe low-grade cancer, having a biopsy arranged to see what they are.

Feeling relieved as whatever they have found is small enough to be treated at an early stage.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 17:40

The biopsy will certainly confirm the state of play and you can then decide what action if any is required.

Ivan