I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting time for biopsy results

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 11:06

I was wondering what people’s experiences were with waiting times for biopsy results. My husband had a biopsy on 1 March and was given an appointment time to discuss results 8 March. However yesterday they called to say the results are not back yet. Terrified that this means they’ve found something really bad. Not sure what usual waits are but both of us are climbing the walls!

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 17:59

I was informed of the biopsy results of both mine (one June 2021 and one September 2021) around 2 weeks after I had the procedure so your initial appointment date of 08/03 was pretty good. I wouldn't, therefore, be concerned about the delay in getting the biopsy results and it most certainly is not because the biopsy has found something really bad.  The delay is most probably because of capacity issues or staff shortages at the biopsy lab. The appointment for my post-operation PSA feedback which was scheduled 4 weeks ago for 15/03 has just been cancelled and I am presently awaiting another appointment time and date.

It is understandable to be worried, especially at at such an early stage of diagnosis, but because prostate cancer is usually very slow growing ( a single slow growing cancer cell can take over 400 days to form) a little delay does not make any difference to the cancer- though obviously does play on the nerves of the patient.

By the way, it might make things easier for you as well as others if rather than opening up a new thread each time you made a comment that you commented on the original thread.

Ivan

Edited by member 09 Mar 2022 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 18:11
Hi Banana loaf, that is very quick for the result of the biopsy. My husband had his biopsy on 1st Feb and the original date we were given to get the result was 28th Feb. We did manage to get the result on 21st Feb, because we rang and asked if there were any news.

I know the waiting is absolutely awful. I will not tell you to relax because I know that is impossible.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 19:02
Anything between two to four weeks is typical. They were being VERY optimistic in giving you an appointment the week after the biopsy.

Just a matter of waiting, unfortunately, which is horrible.

All the best,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 17:59

I was informed of the biopsy results of both mine (one June 2021 and one September 2021) around 2 weeks after I had the procedure so your initial appointment date of 08/03 was pretty good. I wouldn't, therefore, be concerned about the delay in getting the biopsy results and it most certainly is not because the biopsy has found something really bad.  The delay is most probably because of capacity issues or staff shortages at the biopsy lab. The appointment for my post-operation PSA feedback which was scheduled 4 weeks ago for 15/03 has just been cancelled and I am presently awaiting another appointment time and date.

It is understandable to be worried, especially at at such an early stage of diagnosis, but because prostate cancer is usually very slow growing ( a single slow growing cancer cell can take over 400 days to form) a little delay does not make any difference to the cancer- though obviously does play on the nerves of the patient.

By the way, it might make things easier for you as well as others if rather than opening up a new thread each time you made a comment that you commented on the original thread.

Ivan

Edited by member 09 Mar 2022 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 18:11
Hi Banana loaf, that is very quick for the result of the biopsy. My husband had his biopsy on 1st Feb and the original date we were given to get the result was 28th Feb. We did manage to get the result on 21st Feb, because we rang and asked if there were any news.

I know the waiting is absolutely awful. I will not tell you to relax because I know that is impossible.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 18:47

Thanks, that is helpful. Also thanks for tips about using the forum. It’s new to me so wasn’t sure but good info.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 18:48

Thanks for your reply. The waiting is horrible as I know you know!

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 19:02
Anything between two to four weeks is typical. They were being VERY optimistic in giving you an appointment the week after the biopsy.

Just a matter of waiting, unfortunately, which is horrible.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 09 Mar 2022 at 19:29

Thanks very helpful again. I find this community very helpful and supportive at a really tough time.

User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 15:04

Over 5 years ago mine took 11 days and I got the impression I was told as soon as it came out.    I'd think in these Covid days one week is optimistic and two weeks more likely.   

I doubt bad news would make it longer and would think the opposite.

Your profile doesn't say anything so I haven't looked up what's happened so far, but all the best Peter

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 06:35

Hello Bill

Sorry to hear that you may have joined the "club", which you will know whether you have once you have the results of your biopsy. Generally, because prostate cancer is slow growing ( a single cancer cell, for example, takes over 400 days to form and  a 1 cm lesion could be 40 years old), waits between treatments etc, though hard on the mind , do not affect the outcome.

Rather than piggy-back on this narrative, it may be better to open up your own thread so that all your messages are contained within one narrative and are easier to find.

Let us know how you get on with the biopsy.

Ivan   

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 08:40

Sounds good to me

Ivan