Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Targeted Alpha Therapy, Actinium 225

User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 09:54

Hello

Desperately seeking information on where there may be trials or when Actinium 225 can be administered. 

Husband age 55 diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in October 2020. Widespread bone mets and currently symptom free but psa rising above 100. To date he has had abiraterone, doxetacle in the past 3 months but not working so now on to cabazitaxel, alongside his monthly degralix injection.

Apparently Actinium 225 is more advanced and successful than Luticium 177.

Any advice or signposting would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 06:34

Yes, Ac225 does have better response rates in the short term as compared to Lu177 PSMA since alpha particles having much higher energy, has the potential to produce double stranded DNA breaks on the tumour cells which produces more cell kill. Whether long term outcomes differ has yet to be proven in large studies. The primary adverse effects are xerostomia which is quite severe. Anaemia and weight loss are the other adverse effects. Dr sen  have been doing Ac225 PSMA since 2016 in a salvage setting, primarily in patients who fail Lu177 PSMA therapy. They have published the response rates of first 40 patients

Therapeutic efficacy of 225Ac‑PSMA‑617 targeted alpha therapy in patients of metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer after taxane‑based chemotherapy

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 00:15

Thank you very much! We will look into this 👌

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 20:01

I couldn't see any trial of ACT 225 listed on Cancer Research UK site that generally shows cancer trials in the UK. Indeed, only a handful of men in a few countries abroad seem to have had it and although it was thought it had potential for extending life, one small study was terminated because a third of the men developed severe grade 3 and 4 side effects. If your husband is intent on having it, he may have to go to the USA, Canada or Germany. I read that Bayer had bought the patent but cannot vouch for the accuracy of this. Some of the references refer to this as a further treatment following Lu 177. If your Oncologist does not know where this is being used you could try Bayer who should know if the information I read is correct.

You may find the information in this link interesting :- https://research2reality.com/health-medicine/rarest-drug-earth-cancer-treatment-actinium-225/

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04644770

Edited by member 10 Mar 2022 at 20:47  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 23:27

Thanks so much Barry!

We'd seen the video about the rarest drug in the world, and I had sent an email to the drug trials. We'll keep exploring and follow up on the Bayer to see what that leads to. Rely appreciate you replying! 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2022 at 23:59

Confirmation of Bayer involvement through it's subsidiary https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210916005063/en/BWXT-Medical-and-Bayer-AG-Enter-into-Agreement-for-the-Development-and-Production-of-Actinium-225

Best wishes.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2022 at 00:00  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2022 at 08:39

Thank you very much Barry! Away to investigate. 👌

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 06:34

Yes, Ac225 does have better response rates in the short term as compared to Lu177 PSMA since alpha particles having much higher energy, has the potential to produce double stranded DNA breaks on the tumour cells which produces more cell kill. Whether long term outcomes differ has yet to be proven in large studies. The primary adverse effects are xerostomia which is quite severe. Anaemia and weight loss are the other adverse effects. Dr sen  have been doing Ac225 PSMA since 2016 in a salvage setting, primarily in patients who fail Lu177 PSMA therapy. They have published the response rates of first 40 patients

Therapeutic efficacy of 225Ac‑PSMA‑617 targeted alpha therapy in patients of metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer after taxane‑based chemotherapy

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 00:15

Thank you very much! We will look into this 👌

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 07:32

Since I am not active as I should be in this forum I am currently not eligible to give you the reply to your private message but you can see my bio for any information. Thanks

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 09:08

Thank you very much Abhishek!