Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Running, surfing and walking after surgery

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 13:49

Hi everyone, 

I’m a fairly fit 50 year old, probably having keyhole prostatectomy in the next couple of months. I have a couple of questions:

I have 42 steps up to my front door (Plymouth is hilly!) and wondered what that means for getting out and about, walking after surgery. Are lots of steps a no-no? Or good for you?

I run too, fairly quick I suppose for my age (1hr30 half marathon for example). When could I expect to be running again and am I likely to be running at that pace again?

finally, I surf a bit (better runner than surfer). Is there anything likely to stop me doing that? I’m most concerned about being able to go out with my 13 year old as I’ve just upgraded his board and he’s mad keen. 

As always, your words of wisdom are much appreciated.

cheers

Nick

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 19:09
Steps won't be a problem if you take your time. Running when you are fully recovered OK.

No reason why your times will be impacted once you have regained your fitness.

Wait until you are fully recovered before surfing

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 19:40
I imagine that surfing places quite a lot of strain on the abdominal muscles. Probably best to wait at least 3 months after surgery to allow the muscles to heal after being cut during surgery.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 20:55

Take your time walking up the steps at first, especially with a catheter in place. Once that's gone then walking is not an issue. Just see how you feel as you progress distance. In my experience you should be able to ease into running and surfing in 2-3 months.

Cheers

J

User
Posted 17 Mar 2022 at 19:51

My husband was back running after 12 weeks with plenty of padding just in case.

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 21:12

Nick, I’m 66 and had a RP in January 2022. I’m also a keen runner like you with a HM time of 1.35 in 2021. 4 months after the op I did a 10 mile race in 73 minutes so am happy to be nearly back to previous form. You will have to be patient but from my experience you can be confident of getting back to your previous running standard.
Calvin

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 17:46
Anthony, I was told to walk regularly for the first 4 weeks, then if I felt ok I could start easy running. Weeks 1-4 I walked every day getting up to 6 miles. Catheter out on day 10 and stitches falling out at 3 weeks helped. I had the ok to run after 4 weeks but I was cautious so in week 5 I walked interspersed with jogging. Using a favourite 5k route I started off with 90 paces walking and 10 paces jogged (90/10) but found that easy so next day it was 80/20 and then 50/50 etc. At the end of week 5 I was running the 5k slowly. Week 6 I limited my run to easy 5ks leaving my watch at home. After week 6 I started timing the 5ks trying each day to beat the previous time. Have to say I was breathless for a while but the fitness and times gradually improved. Probably around week 7 I started upping the distance to 5m or 10k. After that it was just a case of training as hard as I felt able to. I’m lucky in that my continence was good although I did leak a bit when running and farting so I had a small pad in my pants for a while. I don’t think there is one rule for what to expect continence wise as everyone is different. Like you I felt I could run much earlier but I had the self control not to. If I had my time again I wouldn’t change a thing. No doubt about it though, at our age every running comeback is harder than the previous.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 19:09
Steps won't be a problem if you take your time. Running when you are fully recovered OK.

No reason why your times will be impacted once you have regained your fitness.

Wait until you are fully recovered before surfing

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 19:40
I imagine that surfing places quite a lot of strain on the abdominal muscles. Probably best to wait at least 3 months after surgery to allow the muscles to heal after being cut during surgery.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 20:55

Take your time walking up the steps at first, especially with a catheter in place. Once that's gone then walking is not an issue. Just see how you feel as you progress distance. In my experience you should be able to ease into running and surfing in 2-3 months.

Cheers

J

User
Posted 16 Mar 2022 at 22:09

Thanks all, sensible advice as always. 

cheers

Nick

User
Posted 17 Mar 2022 at 19:51

My husband was back running after 12 weeks with plenty of padding just in case.

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 21:12

Nick, I’m 66 and had a RP in January 2022. I’m also a keen runner like you with a HM time of 1.35 in 2021. 4 months after the op I did a 10 mile race in 73 minutes so am happy to be nearly back to previous form. You will have to be patient but from my experience you can be confident of getting back to your previous running standard.
Calvin

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 22:14

Thanks Calvin, that’s reassuring. I’m still waiting to have a final PSMA PET scan on my pelvis (this Thursday thankfully) which we’re all hoping will reveal wear and tear, nothing more sinister. Then results then surgery, I think. I’m hoping to squeeze a half marathon in before then.

If I’m still running as quickly as you when I’ve recovered and at 66 then I’ll be very happy!

thanks again, I hope your recovery continues well.

Nick

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 14:41

Did the doctors clear you to run or did you just feel well enough to try in. I’m 64 and a keen runner, it is just over a week since my RARP and can’t wait to get back to it. Honestly, I think I’ve been lucky and had no real pain with the wounds and do feel like I could do a quick trot around already, but won’t until the doc says it’s OK

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 17:46
Anthony, I was told to walk regularly for the first 4 weeks, then if I felt ok I could start easy running. Weeks 1-4 I walked every day getting up to 6 miles. Catheter out on day 10 and stitches falling out at 3 weeks helped. I had the ok to run after 4 weeks but I was cautious so in week 5 I walked interspersed with jogging. Using a favourite 5k route I started off with 90 paces walking and 10 paces jogged (90/10) but found that easy so next day it was 80/20 and then 50/50 etc. At the end of week 5 I was running the 5k slowly. Week 6 I limited my run to easy 5ks leaving my watch at home. After week 6 I started timing the 5ks trying each day to beat the previous time. Have to say I was breathless for a while but the fitness and times gradually improved. Probably around week 7 I started upping the distance to 5m or 10k. After that it was just a case of training as hard as I felt able to. I’m lucky in that my continence was good although I did leak a bit when running and farting so I had a small pad in my pants for a while. I don’t think there is one rule for what to expect continence wise as everyone is different. Like you I felt I could run much earlier but I had the self control not to. If I had my time again I wouldn’t change a thing. No doubt about it though, at our age every running comeback is harder than the previous.
User
Posted 27 Nov 2022 at 08:39

Yesterday was my first surf since surgery, just over 10 weeks ago. It was a surprisingly big day at Towan in Newquay so I stayed on the inside and caught a few clean but mostly broken waves. 

All good, no pain and loads of fun. Amazing to get back in the water with my 13yr old - although he was straight out the back and left his dad to it!