I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What to expect next

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 09:47

My husband is due his first psa test 8 weeks following 36 doses of radiotherapy and 6 monthly hormone therapy. He had a radical robotic prostatectomy approx 2 years ago for a Gleason 8 prostate cancer with at 1 lymph node involved. I have read that the psa results could be raised due to the radiology or reduced due to the hormone therapy.

Does anyone have experience either way want to be ready to support him whatever the result. His psa pre treatment was 0.3 and his scan negative

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 14:18
I wouldn't place much reliance on a PSA test so soon after radiation which works over a long period, 18 months or thereabouts. I expect hubby will have regular PSA tests possibly every 3 months for a time in order to establish a trend. If these are satisfactory it is likely the intervals between tests will be increased.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 16:40
I didn't get my first post-treatment PSA test until 6 months after the last dose of rafiotherapy. Then it was less then 0.03 - quite satisfactory!

Hermit

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 17:05
John's oncologist wouldn't allow him to have a PSA test until 6 months post-RT - he said that PSA can rise immediately after radiotherapy (cells can produce more PSA because they think they are being attacked) and that the reading at 18 months was the most important one.

Interestingly, PSA can also rise during chemotherapy - onco said to think of it as the cancer screaming as it dies.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 17:23

The hormone therapy will temporarily lower PSA anyway, so it won't be until he finishes HT and testosterone returns that you will have a good idea how the RT went. They probably will measure PSA every 3 or 6 months before then, but it's not very meaningful.

Those first 2 appointments after the RT are really for him to flag up any issues he wants addressing. They aren't going to be able to say much about the outcome so early. If there is any support you need such as access to ED clinic, that is the opportunity to ask for it, e.g. might want to ask for Tadalafil and a pump.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 18:06

Great news open that bottle  πŸ‘

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 19:34
Great news!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 23:27

Brilliant news, definitely get the champagne opened 🍾πŸ₯‚

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 14:18
I wouldn't place much reliance on a PSA test so soon after radiation which works over a long period, 18 months or thereabouts. I expect hubby will have regular PSA tests possibly every 3 months for a time in order to establish a trend. If these are satisfactory it is likely the intervals between tests will be increased.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 16:40
I didn't get my first post-treatment PSA test until 6 months after the last dose of rafiotherapy. Then it was less then 0.03 - quite satisfactory!

Hermit

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 17:05
John's oncologist wouldn't allow him to have a PSA test until 6 months post-RT - he said that PSA can rise immediately after radiotherapy (cells can produce more PSA because they think they are being attacked) and that the reading at 18 months was the most important one.

Interestingly, PSA can also rise during chemotherapy - onco said to think of it as the cancer screaming as it dies.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 17:23

The hormone therapy will temporarily lower PSA anyway, so it won't be until he finishes HT and testosterone returns that you will have a good idea how the RT went. They probably will measure PSA every 3 or 6 months before then, but it's not very meaningful.

Those first 2 appointments after the RT are really for him to flag up any issues he wants addressing. They aren't going to be able to say much about the outcome so early. If there is any support you need such as access to ED clinic, that is the opportunity to ask for it, e.g. might want to ask for Tadalafil and a pump.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 08:43
Thankyou all -I just know that if the psa has gone up he will be devastated and his oncologist is not the most reassuring of individuals. Off to have his blood test today.
User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 17:04
Good news today - psa undetectable. One very happy husband! Telephone review with oncologist on Monday, assuming he will suggest review in 3/6 months. Time to open the champagne methinks x
User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 18:06

Great news open that bottle  πŸ‘

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 19:34
Great news!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Mar 2022 at 23:27

Brilliant news, definitely get the champagne opened 🍾πŸ₯‚