I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA LEVELS CHART

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 10:46

Apologies if I’m in the wrong section, I don’t know if anyone can point me in the right direction, I’m looking to find a PSA levels chart (reference range) by age issued by an official UK organisation, I can find them for other countries but not for the UK.

many thanks 

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 15:22

Prostate Cancer Research- normal range by age group:

https://www.prostate-cancer-research.org.uk/psa-tests-guide/

NHS guidelines to GPs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prostate-specific-antigen-testing-explanation-and-implementation/advising-well-men-about-the-psa-test-for-prostate-cancer-information-for-gps#psa-test

Edited by member 20 Mar 2022 at 15:32  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 14:05

Mrs Gee 

I had largish prostate and 2.6 PSA diagnosed aged 41 in 2005. I did active surveillance till last year 2021 when I had RARP having been diagnosed with PSA of 6.3 and Gleason 3 +4. My PSA rose slowly from 2.6 in 2005 to 3.8 in 2019 and urologists were not worried as DRE was always normal and 2 MRI’s revealed only inconclusive PIRADS 2 & 3 although my flow rate was very poor. All experts thought it was likely inflammation and told me not to worry. When it jumped up to 6.3 in 2021 I panicked and had a biopsy which was just in time and ive had successful surgery. Just keep an eye on the PSA every 6 months i suggest and have regular DRE’s and perhaps an MRI if you are worried. If you keep on top of it you will catch it in time if it even is PC which it may well not be. But trust your intuition would be my advice. Doctors are often wrong

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 15:22

Prostate Cancer Research- normal range by age group:

https://www.prostate-cancer-research.org.uk/psa-tests-guide/

NHS guidelines to GPs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prostate-specific-antigen-testing-explanation-and-implementation/advising-well-men-about-the-psa-test-for-prostate-cancer-information-for-gps#psa-test

Edited by member 20 Mar 2022 at 15:32  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 16:18

Thanks very much, I’m trying to find something for the 40-49 age group, I can find charts but they aren’t published in the UK.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 16:29

Note that many NHS areas define their own PSA levels for referral.

The support group on the Isle of Wight have been told you need to have a PSA of 4 to get a urology referral there.

Also, some hospital urology departments do outreach work to educate GPs, mostly about getting patients to them sooner. With half the patients with prostate cancer being diagnosed at stage 3 or 4, the point they make is that too many patients are being referred too late.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 17:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks very much, I’m trying to find something for the 40-49 age group, I can find charts but they aren’t published in the UK.

There isn't a nationally agreed one - NICE guidelines for GPs start at age 50 because that is the age at which GPs are supposed to start agreeing to PSA tests for asymptomatic men who request a test. The closest you will find is the national consensus agreement produced by PCUK - 'normal reading for a man aged 40 is 0.7' and a man aged 45 - 49 should be referred to urology if he is at higher risk of getting PCa (e.g. he is Black African, Black Caribbean, Ashkenazi Jew, is known to be BRCA + or has close family members who had early PCa (in their 40s) / early breast cancer (in their 30s) / male breast cancer / uterine cancer / endometrial cancer, etc) AND his PSA reading is 2.5 or above. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/about-us/projects-and-policies/consensus-on-psa-testing

Edited by member 20 Mar 2022 at 17:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 09:08

Thankyou very much, that is really helpful x

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 09:56

MrsGee, i assume the information you are asking for is not for you OH.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 10:01

Hi Chris

yes, it is for OH, just trying to figure why at the age of 47 and a PSA of 2.6 further investigations weren’t made, and wondered if there were any guidelines.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 11:04

MrsGee, I did think that may have been your reason, l had a PSA of 6.9 missed at the age of 59, I didn't know I had a PSA test and knew nothing about prostate cancer. My estranged father died of prostate cancer and although there was some limited contact with him and I went to his funeral, I didn't find out he had died of PCa until after I was diagnosed.

I was eventually diagnosed at 62 with a PSA of 7.7. I am now eight years post surgery and five years post salvage RT and still have a rising PSA. On bad days I do have the "what if" thoughts, but I don't dwell on it.

I am sure you already know a PSA of "around" 0.2 is the trigger for further action in your OH's situation.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 22 Mar 2022 at 14:05

Mrs Gee 

I had largish prostate and 2.6 PSA diagnosed aged 41 in 2005. I did active surveillance till last year 2021 when I had RARP having been diagnosed with PSA of 6.3 and Gleason 3 +4. My PSA rose slowly from 2.6 in 2005 to 3.8 in 2019 and urologists were not worried as DRE was always normal and 2 MRI’s revealed only inconclusive PIRADS 2 & 3 although my flow rate was very poor. All experts thought it was likely inflammation and told me not to worry. When it jumped up to 6.3 in 2021 I panicked and had a biopsy which was just in time and ive had successful surgery. Just keep an eye on the PSA every 6 months i suggest and have regular DRE’s and perhaps an MRI if you are worried. If you keep on top of it you will catch it in time if it even is PC which it may well not be. But trust your intuition would be my advice. Doctors are often wrong