I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy how painful

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 16:52

Hi how painful is a prostate biopsy and what the the recovery time please? I know everyone’s different but it would be good to plan ahead 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 17:29

I would say that the TRUS (trans rectal?) biopsy is unpleasant but not enormously painful. A local anaesthetic is used, and while I was aware of it each time a sample was taken, (there was a click, like that from a stapler), it did not hurt much. A nurse was stationed by my head to chat with me and distract me! Afterwards, I was kept in the waiting room for 30 minutes until I had 'proved' I could urinate. That was quite startling - blood clots mixed with the urine! I was given a 3 day supply of 2 different antibiotics with a strict warning to take them, (because the needles have penetrated the bowel wall to get to the prostate, so there is a chance of contamination and infection) and if I got feverish to go straight to A&E and tell them about the biopsy. There is no 'recovery' period as such, but I had blood in my urine for a few days afterwards. I was not prevented from doing anything I wanted to.
So - not enjoyable, but tolerable, even for a wuss like me.
best wishes,
Hermit

Edited by member 29 Mar 2022 at 17:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 17:56
I'd put it on a par with having a filling at the dentist. Just like at the dentist, the most painful bit is the initial scratch to inject the local anaesthetic (it's the same anaesthetic). Once that's in, the rest is just vibrations and noises.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Having failed to ask any questions about what to expect, John had his at 9am and went straight to work afterwards ๐Ÿคฃ He said later that the local anaesthetic was similar to getting an injection at the dentist.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 18:50
I agree with others anticipation much worse than reality. I had 32 samples taken and certainly no worse than a filling. As long as your not worried about your dignity ๐Ÿ˜Ž which I suspect by now you will have lost๐Ÿ˜Ž
User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 18:58

I agree as well with all the people on here. I had 28 samples taken and although you feel a few sharp scratches, the nurse is the room stays by your head talking to you and it is not painful. More of an annoyance. 

They monitor your BP afterwards, give you a cuppa and then as long as you pee, you can go home. Try not to worry! 

Steve

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 17:29

I would say that the TRUS (trans rectal?) biopsy is unpleasant but not enormously painful. A local anaesthetic is used, and while I was aware of it each time a sample was taken, (there was a click, like that from a stapler), it did not hurt much. A nurse was stationed by my head to chat with me and distract me! Afterwards, I was kept in the waiting room for 30 minutes until I had 'proved' I could urinate. That was quite startling - blood clots mixed with the urine! I was given a 3 day supply of 2 different antibiotics with a strict warning to take them, (because the needles have penetrated the bowel wall to get to the prostate, so there is a chance of contamination and infection) and if I got feverish to go straight to A&E and tell them about the biopsy. There is no 'recovery' period as such, but I had blood in my urine for a few days afterwards. I was not prevented from doing anything I wanted to.
So - not enjoyable, but tolerable, even for a wuss like me.
best wishes,
Hermit

Edited by member 29 Mar 2022 at 17:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 17:36

OH had a transperinal biopsy with a local.  He said he felt the local more than the biopsy needles (they took 12 samples), had to wait about 30 minutes to have a pee and then came home, he had been given some antibiotics which he took religously (to my surprise), but no problems

User
I'd put it on a par with having a filling at the dentist. Just like at the dentist, the most painful bit is the initial scratch to inject the local anaesthetic (it's the same anaesthetic). Once that's in, the rest is just vibrations and noises.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Having failed to ask any questions about what to expect, John had his at 9am and went straight to work afterwards ๐Ÿคฃ He said later that the local anaesthetic was similar to getting an injection at the dentist.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 18:50
I agree with others anticipation much worse than reality. I had 32 samples taken and certainly no worse than a filling. As long as your not worried about your dignity ๐Ÿ˜Ž which I suspect by now you will have lost๐Ÿ˜Ž
User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 18:58

I agree as well with all the people on here. I had 28 samples taken and although you feel a few sharp scratches, the nurse is the room stays by your head talking to you and it is not painful. More of an annoyance. 

They monitor your BP afterwards, give you a cuppa and then as long as you pee, you can go home. Try not to worry! 

Steve

User
Posted 29 Mar 2022 at 20:02

Thank you everyone.