I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fiducial Markers

User
Posted 30 Mar 2022 at 16:31

So I am off to Guildford Hospital for some fiducial markers...

I am told they are used to help alignment for the CT and then later on the EBRT?

I am also told they are not as uncomfortable as the biopsy!

I will let you know!

My wife says I will be worth more on my return... that's a bonus but with nhs cutbacks, 'all that glitters may not be gold' 

Blessings,

Snowwy

User
Posted 30 Mar 2022 at 19:46
I didn't feel the tattoos being done at all. They're just dots. Yes, they're used so you're in exactly the same position for each RT session.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Mar 2022 at 20:45

The tattoos are separate from the fiducial markers, which are tiny gold seeds inserted in the prostate so it shows up better in X-rays. The fiducial markers are more accurate than the tattoos. The tattoos will be used for initial lining up on the treatment table, but the fiducial markers are used with a pair of X-rays at right angles to correct for the movement of the prostate day-to-day. Sometimes fiducial markers are not used, and a Cone Beam CT scan is done instead before each treatment to adjust for movement of the prostate day-to-day, but this takes longer on the treatment table and reduces the number of patients which can be processed per day.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 10:25

So yesterday I had my Fiducial Markers.

Apart from stinging a bit there was no real problems.

The staff were excellent and timely and even gave me a 'party bag' of Micro enemas to take home!

Next stop, planning CT.

Blessings

Snowwy

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 14:14

Hi Snowwy

I might have seen you there! I had the markers inserted (Name removed by moderator) the afternoon of 31st Mar. No problem. Started RT May 9th. St Lukes is really very good.

Peternigel

Edited by moderator 25 Oct 2022 at 18:43  | Reason: Not specified