I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA level s

User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 17:12

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

I seen a urologist just over six months ago and they said my prostate was enlarged and felt like knuckles in a clenched fist, they sent me for an MRI scan and were going to do a biopsy as they seemed pretty sure I had cancer, (their words).

But then changed their mind and said that I would get my PSA levels checked every six months. it's jumped from 5.3 to 7.3 now I need to go for more Tests, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if this is normal.

any information would be greatly appreciated.thanks

User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 18:38

Hi, so a recent PSA blood test has shown a rise to 7.3 in the last six months ?

I would expect, given you age, they should now schedule an MRI and then a biopsy, to clarify the state of play.

P.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 20:29
A steady rise in PSA is certainly a red flag indicating that investigation is required. I would certainly ask for a repeat scan and biopsy.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 22:21

Hi Bobby,

My husband had a PSA of 5.1 in 2020. They did refer him for more tests but covid hit and he wasn’t seen then for 12 months. In that time his PSA had risen to 8.3. He had MRI, biopsy, bone scan and CT scan. 
Unfortunately he was diagnosed with PCa but he has since had the operation and is doing well. More information on my profile if interested.

You definitely want to get the checks and hopefully it will be nothing to worry about as a higher PSA doesn’t always mean cancer of course, if it turns out to be something then there are so many options now and so much that can be done.

The worst bit will be the not knowing and waiting for results. Wishing you all the very best, keep us posted x