I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Baby you can drive my car !

User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 19:10

Hi all, can I ask fellow RALP’ers  how long they had to wait before being allowed to drive. 
I am now two weeks post surgery and would like to be able to take short trips in the car. My insurance company has no set timeframe and depends on the doctor to advise when safe to drive. 
I see a range of experiences online ( from 2 weeks to 6 or more). How long were you ‘off the road’ after RARP ? 
I have a GP appointment tomorrow and it would be great if I got the OK, but maybe I’m being over optimistic. 
Regards, GG

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 11:30

Mine was the same as some here and have a guidance on 2 weeks or when you feel strong enough for an emergency stop. 

User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 22:15
If the insurer has said they will be led by the surgeon you either need to contact the surgeon to get confirmation they are happy for you to drive or, if you were given a pre-op information pack by the hospital it may be written in there. For example, a lot of the big hospitals state in their RP information leaflet to patients that they should not drive for 4 weeks - if you ignored that and had an accident you wouldn't be covered even though you hadn't been explicitly told.

Some surgeons will just confirm verbally you can drive at the 6 week post-op review

Some insurers don't say anything about the hospital or surgeon, just that you must be recovered enough to be able to do an emergency stop safely.

My husband was at the other end of the scale. He had a company car at the time and the insurer wouldn't cover him until they gad a letter from the surgeon which the surgeon refused to provide ... in the end it took 12 weeks before he could get behind the wheel!

Google will quickly tell you whether your hospital has a stated position on driving after abdominal surgery

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 10:18
My insurers said OK to drive as long as I haven't been told not to. The hospital had previously said about 2 weeks

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 13:00
Hi GG, my hubby told ok to drive after 2 weeks as long as he’s comfortable doing an emergency stop. Wishing you well. X
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Mar 2022 at 22:15
If the insurer has said they will be led by the surgeon you either need to contact the surgeon to get confirmation they are happy for you to drive or, if you were given a pre-op information pack by the hospital it may be written in there. For example, a lot of the big hospitals state in their RP information leaflet to patients that they should not drive for 4 weeks - if you ignored that and had an accident you wouldn't be covered even though you hadn't been explicitly told.

Some surgeons will just confirm verbally you can drive at the 6 week post-op review

Some insurers don't say anything about the hospital or surgeon, just that you must be recovered enough to be able to do an emergency stop safely.

My husband was at the other end of the scale. He had a company car at the time and the insurer wouldn't cover him until they gad a letter from the surgeon which the surgeon refused to provide ... in the end it took 12 weeks before he could get behind the wheel!

Google will quickly tell you whether your hospital has a stated position on driving after abdominal surgery

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 09:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
….. if you were given a pre-op information pack by the hospital it may be written in there….

thanks , I checked through the (many) leaflets that the hospital gave me and found this guidance  

We normally advise patients that you can drive after about 2 weeks following robotic surgery, providing you feel confident about controlling the car and carrying out an emergency stop. You should contact your insurance company to tell them about your surgery

so looks like I can resume driving today ( although I won’t be driving far anytime soon ) - but will seek confirmation from GP.

regards, GG

Edited by member 01 Apr 2022 at 09:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 10:18
My insurers said OK to drive as long as I haven't been told not to. The hospital had previously said about 2 weeks

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 11:30

Mine was the same as some here and have a guidance on 2 weeks or when you feel strong enough for an emergency stop. 

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 13:00
Hi GG, my hubby told ok to drive after 2 weeks as long as he’s comfortable doing an emergency stop. Wishing you well. X