I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post biopsy appointment

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 20:03

Husband has appointment next week to get results of the biopsy. It’s with a urology nurse. Is that normal? What should we expect to be told?

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 22:38
It's pretty common. You'll be told the results of the biopsy and, if the result is that it's cancer, probably given some leaflets about different treatment options to go away and read. Consultants aren't generally noted for their great "bedside manner", so the nurse will probably be able to explain things to you better.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2022 at 12:53

It is really overwhelming Sophie and it’s easy for us to say not to worry but we all really did. And I know it must be so difficult having a newborn too.

This is definitely the worst part I feel, the not knowing. Chances are everything could be absolutely fine, and even if it did turn out he had prostate cancer it really is something that so many men live with never needing treatment and not dying because of it. 
My husband was diagnosed at 73 purely because he started having PSA tests (no symptoms)….chances are it was there and growing in his 40’s but has just took all this time for him to need treatment.

Next week you should get a Gleason score given to you, it will give an indication of what they found. 

Keep us updated. Lots of support on here and from the prostate cancer nurses if you need it….but fingers crossed you won’t x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 22:38
It's pretty common. You'll be told the results of the biopsy and, if the result is that it's cancer, probably given some leaflets about different treatment options to go away and read. Consultants aren't generally noted for their great "bedside manner", so the nurse will probably be able to explain things to you better.

User
Posted 01 Apr 2022 at 23:31

Hi Sophie,

We saw a consultant initially for the results and a nurse was present, we were then just with the nurse to go through the other details.

Has your husband had an MRI already? Is he going through diagnostic because of a PSA test?

Hope all will be ok x

User
Posted 02 Apr 2022 at 09:21

He had an mri which showed a 1cm lesion pirad 4 and then a perineum biopsy. He’s only late 40s and we’ve just had a newborn baby. Overwhelming. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2022 at 12:11

Hi Sophie. 

Yes it’s quite common as people say. I had the consultant tell me my news but then you are handed off to the nurses who talk you through everything and give you loads of leaflets. 

Depending on the outcome of the biopsy, they will explain all the details and options and you will be given lots of information leaflets and booklets and an email to contact them for any further questions you have. Hope that helps for now? 

steve 

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Husband has appointment next week to get results of the biopsy. It’s with a urology nurse. Is that normal? What should we expect to be told?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2022 at 12:53

It is really overwhelming Sophie and it’s easy for us to say not to worry but we all really did. And I know it must be so difficult having a newborn too.

This is definitely the worst part I feel, the not knowing. Chances are everything could be absolutely fine, and even if it did turn out he had prostate cancer it really is something that so many men live with never needing treatment and not dying because of it. 
My husband was diagnosed at 73 purely because he started having PSA tests (no symptoms)….chances are it was there and growing in his 40’s but has just took all this time for him to need treatment.

Next week you should get a Gleason score given to you, it will give an indication of what they found. 

Keep us updated. Lots of support on here and from the prostate cancer nurses if you need it….but fingers crossed you won’t x

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 17:06

Got the results T2a

anyrjinf else we should know?

sorry about crazy posting just finding this hard. 

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 17:15

Gleason 6 I think

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 17:37

Now you have got the results now and then you can discuss with the consultant on what options are available to you. When is your appointment or have you had it already? They should of given you lots of PCUK leaflets and discussed the range of options with you. 

With a Gleason score of 6, and someone will correct me if I’m wrong but it means that the cells look similar to normal cells and the cancer is likely to grow very slowly. 

I’m so sorry you are having to go through this and it is emotional and upsetting. Make sure you both talk through it all together. 

Got the results T2a

anyrjinf else we should know?

sorry about crazy posting just finding this hard. 

Edited by member 05 Apr 2022 at 17:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 18:17

He went alone as we have other children of primary school age so not really practical to have them there. I would have gone if only the baby. He will be back soon and talk to me but needs to be his decision. He said one core had bottom grade cancer. The lesion that was investigated was 1cm 

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 19:06

He went alone as we have other children of primary school age so not really practical to have them there. I would have gone if only the baby. He will be back soon and talk to me but needs to be his decision. He said one core had bottom grade cancer. The lesion that was investigated was 1cm 

it’s totally overwhelming Sophie. This forum provides great support and guidance and no question is a silly question. Once you have all the results you will be able to make a decision as to what to do. It’s tough but it has really helped us to reach out x

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 19:14

Sophie, I know that this waiting is horrible.  Once you have all the information do as much research as you can and ask lots of questions.  Wish you and your family all the best.