I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 16.5 after UTI with high fever

User
Posted 04 Apr 2022 at 21:29

I had a nasty high fever and Urinary Tract infection last month between 10th - 15th March and was treated with antibiotics. Had Trouble urinating, with the urge to go frequently and pain / discomfort in my penis or in my Urethra Tube. Treated with Antibiotics and symptoms have improved now. Two weeks after UTI has a PSA test and the result of which come now 16.5. GP also did a DRE test and says your prostate is also enlarged but can't rule out Prostate cancer. Very much worried now seeing such a high PSA level of 16.5. Please advise what to do to check for prostate cancer 

User
Posted 04 Apr 2022 at 21:43

Hi,

Your GP is best advisor. They'll normally do an MRI to have a look and take it from there....

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 12:58
UTI's can be very difficult to overcome and sometimes need more than one antibiotic. So could understand if GP wants to monitor for a time. If symptoms persist or PSA doesn't fall, I think it likely your GP will refer you to urology. They will wish to rule out UTI by doing a culture test rather than a dip test if this is all that your GP had done. An MRI may then follow and dependant on this and other indications possibly a Biopsy. But things have to be taken one step at a time and the next being that you are definitely free of UTI.
Barry
User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 13:38

As my initial symptom was high Feaver for three days and then problems and pain while urinating for which I was admitted to A&E and took IV antibiotics. 

I wish a High PSA score is only a temporary false result because of UTI infections or prostate inflammation as a PSA test was carried out within 2 weeks from UTI infections. My GP checked the DRE test yesterday that I also have an enlarged prostate he recommended and order another PSA test, 6 weeks after the UTI to check the value and said then I will refer back to NHS Urologist depending on your second PSA results. Otherwise, I am worried and depressed seeing such a high PSA scope of 16.5

User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 20:55

This sounds like me. Except although I went to the DR with a UTI nothing showed up and went down the prostrate path. Once you are referred to urology you have to be seen in 2 weeks and everything starts moving a bit quicker. It has taken near on 3 months to get to this point with waiting for UTI tests, 3 PSA tests being seen by a consultant and finally an MRI this week. Hang in there, it's a worrying and anxious time but your on the right path.

User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 23:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Once you are referred to urology you have to be seen in 2 weeks and everything starts moving a bit quicker.

The 2 week target only applies to people referred on an urgent cancer pathway - it won't apply to someone being referred for general urology concerns. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2022 at 09:13

Hi Jim, 

Thank You for sharing your experience. It is really a stressful time for me after having a PSA of 16.5. Although I don't have any chill, fever or Major Urinary problems Now.

May I ask you what test you have carried out for UTI and What  was your initial PSA and what is now when UTI is cleared 

I am confuse now if my UTI  is cleared or not so need help to understand the test required for UTI so that I am at ease