I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Template biopsy experience

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 21:57

I had transperineal biopsy three days ago and all went to plan. But I was a bit unprepared for the blood clots and stinging pee afterwards. It really was quite painful, but at least I was peeing!

But three days later after bicarb water and cranberry juice I have no stinging and blood in urine has stopped.

Just thought I'd write this as I couldn't see if my experience was 'normal'

User
Posted 09 Apr 2022 at 09:05

Everyone's experience is different. First couple of days I was peeing what looked like (but wasn't, of course) pure blood! Probably took 2-3 weeks before blood stopped entirely. By the way, if you haven't ejaculated yet since your biopsy, don't be alarmed by the appearance of it when you do 🙂. You'll almost certainly have blood in your semen for several months; bright red at first when your prostate is still bleeding from all the puncture wounds, and then gradually turning the colour of brown sauce with dead blood cells as the weeks go by, and only very gradually clearing up.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 09 Apr 2022 at 09:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 12:10

Yes it can happen although I didn’t get clots and stinging pee. The letter they gave me said you need to go to A&E if you get those symptoms. But if it’s cleared up you should be fine. Mine cleared up in a week.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 12:17

Hi,

Yeh mixed messages from NHS. Some trusts say it's expected for up to a week. Some mention a&e.

But that's all cleared up, except a bit tender when sitting, and some really strong bruising on entire length of penis and most of scrotum. Not sure why bruising is quite so extensive, but it will clear I guess.

Still not totally sure where blood in urine originates, as they shouldn't touch the urethra from the outside. Maybe the temporary catheter scratched ?

But thankfully mostly good now.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 13:02
The blood comes from the prostate, which has had multiple holes punched in it. The main function of the prostate is to make seminal fluid, and the blood gets into the urethra the same way that semen does.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 13:07

Thanks, I thought that urine and semen had different routes. Didn't realise that the prostate also has urine?

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 17:14
The blood isn't in your urine. As I understand it (and I'm certainly no medical expert, so apologies if this is incorrect) there are ducts in the prostate gland through which seminal fluid is forced into the urethra through muscular contractions when you ejaculate. What I understand is happening after a biopsy is that blood from the wounds in the prostate is leaking into these ducts and hence getting into the urethra. That's why the blood is generally only noticeable at the start and end of urination.

I hope I've explained that correctly. I'm sure that someone will put me right if not. I found that after my template biopsy is took several weeks for blood to entirely disappear when I urinated, and much longer (several months) to stop being noticeable when I ejaculated. It presumably depends, though, on how many puncture wounds were made in the prostate, how much they bleed, and how long they take to heal.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 18:41

Chris, that's a great help thank you and yes you explain where the blood comes from well. ( In a way I understood lol)

Best wishes,

Martin

User
Posted 13 Apr 2022 at 23:36

Yep sounds about right Chris. Mine cleared up but then it’s come back reddish brown. Only second week and no pain so …

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 21:59
I was given a leaf!at at time of biopsy that better said to expect blood clots when you pee for a few day. In my case it was it was at its worst at hospital when I had to pre before being allowed to go home and was only slight pinkish for a couple of days.