I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sertraline as cancer treatment

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 14:44

Hi. Haven't posted in quite a long time as life has been bumbling along. Husband had radical prostatectomy in 2017 and PSA dropped to 0.1 and then eventually to undetectable on sensitive array. In 2019 started to rise a little reaching 0.011 and then went undetectable again until most recent reading back at 0.009. Now I know these results are really low but as my husband is very anxious anything other than undetectable causes him to go into overdrive to understand what is going on. This led us to the discovery that the readings have gone undetectable every time he starts taking sertraline and then come back into the detectable range within 12 months of stopping. We wondered if this was coincidence or something to do with stress an cortisol but then came across this article on using sertraline as a treatment for prostate cancer. Has anyone else heard about this or any trials ongoing that we can look into to find out whether there is something in this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7407340/

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 18:57

I would say with PSA so low even the tiniest thing could cause a blip either way. If you alternated him, sertraline and non sertaline every year for a decade, and got consistent results I would accept correlation, and then spent another decade trying to show how it works I might believe causation.

That is an interesting article though.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 20:59

I know what you mean. I had always dismissed it as coincidence given the known test error with these ultra sensitive tests. This article did make me wonder though.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 07:18
Very interesting article maybe some of the guys who take sertraline on this forum can comment?

Does it reduce PSA when it's a bit higher than 0.009??

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 09:11
Quote:

Does it reduce PSA when it's a bit higher than 0.009??

I don't know. Husband's only got to 0.011.  If it does work as described in the article, and as we may possibly have seen through observation, it could be a really useful tool to deal with any residual cancer left after RP.

I think it's still very early stages of research though. Anyway husband has restarted his sertraline so we'll see what happens in 3 months. Nothing lost and if it gets him to take his medication it's a plus in my book anyway.

User
Posted 01 Sep 2023 at 01:19

Hi

Any updates on your use of Sertraline and PSA levels? I am currently using Sertraline for the same purpose and almost 2 years post prostatectomy I am still at psa of <0.01. Could it be the Sertraline? Interested in your progress.

User
Posted 01 Sep 2023 at 20:46

I don’t know about it doing anything for my PCa and PSA levels, but sertraline has sure as hell helped me get through the anxiety brought on when I started HT. Could it be the fact that feeling better mentally by taking the drug helps? I don’t know…. but I’m going to continue taking it  until I am off this damned HT.

Edited by member 01 Sep 2023 at 20:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Sep 2023 at 21:23

Hi

I had a course of sertraline to help stop the depression and bursting into tears for no good reason following hormone treatment with zoladex. It worked. As far as I k ow no effect on psa.

Off it now but other side effects of ADT still with me a year after stopping zolly

Good luck to us all.

Peternigel