I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone scan followed with an X-ray

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 17:56

Hi my dad has recently been diagnosed with prostrate cancer at 55 years old, he was told his PSA level is 16 and his MRI scan come back clear it has not spread to the lymph nodes. He had his bone scan on Wednesday and was required to have an X-ray on his lower back after the scan. This has caused huge concern and now we are extremely worried it has spread to his bones. Has anyone else has an X-ray after their bone scan? 
His biopsy is scheduled for this Tuesday. 
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by member 10 Apr 2022 at 18:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 18:36

With a clear MRI, and no biopsy results, I don't think you can say he has been diagnosed yet, merely that there is a suspicion. I don't want to sound like I am being picky with words, but at the moment I would say it was still 50/50 whether he has cancer, so being worried now is jumping the gun.

I have not heard of anyone having an x-ray after a bone scan. (I've been on this site 2 years). Bone scan is usually unambiguous, so maybe something has shown up and they are trying to establish if it is an old fracture.

PSA 16 it is not very high so spread is not very likely, even if he has cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 22:53

Hi Chloe,

My husband didn’t have an X-ray but after his MRI he had a bone scan and his biopsy, then CT scan and then PSMA pet scan (which we paid for privately) because the bone scan showed cancer in his pelvis but the PSMA pet scan disagreed. Did he get a PIrads score after his MRI scan? 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 06:58

Re x-ray and bone scan that is exactly what I had when my PSA first became detectable after RP.
It was done to diagnose my hip pain and to rule out bone Mets back in the day before PSMA scanning.

I have since had a hip replacement and I am now pain free.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 07:01

I understand my dad hasn’t been fully diagnosed yet with him not having the biopsy till tomorrow but the consultant said he’s certain almost 100% sure it’s PC. Which is why he referred him for a bone scan. 
We also haven’t seen or heard of anyone else having the X-ray after the bone scan, and they wouldn’t tell us why he needed to have it which is why we are so concerned. He has never had a fracture or in any pain in his lower back. 
He didn’t get a PIrads score after the MRI.

Thank you

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 07:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I understand my dad hasn’t been fully diagnosed yet with him not having the biopsy till tomorrow but the consultant said he’s certain almost 100% sure it’s PC. Which is why he referred him for a bone scan. 
We also haven’t seen or heard of anyone else having the X-ray after the bone scan, and they wouldn’t tell us why he needed to have it which is why we are so concerned. He has never had a fracture or in any pain in his lower back. 
He didn’t get a PIrads score after the MRI.

Thank you

I assume when you said the MRI came back clear that you meant just for further spread? If they’re almost 100% certain it’s PCa then they must have seen something in his prostate from MRI?

I know it’s so difficult not to worry but unfortunately all these scans/X-rays often show different things. They possibly just want a closer look at something. As I said my husband got a positive for cancer on his bone scan but a second opinion disagreed and further scan confirmed it wasn’t a met.

Could you maybe contact the hospital to ask why? It took for me to have a complete breakdown on the phone to them to get answers….but I did within (consultant phoned) within 5 minutes. 

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 13:37

Thank you all for your replies, my dad got his results today from the bone scan and they come back clear thank goodness. The X-ray showed wear and tear in his lower back more than likely from his job as he’s a joiner / builder. Just waiting the results of his biopsy now. 

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 14:27

good news Chloe hopefully more good news after biopsy but there is light at the end of the tunnel I had a PSA off 24.9 and Gleason 9 after radiotherapy and hormone therapy a year ago psa now 0.01 worked all the way through 37 days off radiotherapy on decapeptyl  ending in December 2022 all good at the moment 👍

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 14:28

Forgot to say I am a builder too 👍