Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Greetings Everyone

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 00:23

Hello All,

I am just introducing myself. I have just had a consultation with my GP as my PSA levels have risen to 8 after a blood test I had 5 weeks ago. My GP carried out an RE and found that my prostate is larger on the right side. He suspects that I may have prostate cancer and has booked another blood test in 6 weeks time to determine if my PSA count is the same.

Ramon 

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 14:58

Ok got your age in your profile 77. So more likely than not you have PC. As long as it is not progressing fast you will probably die of something else long before this gets troublesome. Definitely worth keeping an eye on, hopefully not worth doing anything about.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 17:52

As Dave commented, prostate cancer is basically just part of the ageing process for a man, and more than three quarters of men your age do have it, so don't get too stressed about it. With a PSA of 8, if you do have it, it's almost certainly to be localised (contained within the prostate) and localised prostate cancer is a condition with excellent treatment success rates. You'll die with it, not from it. If the diagnostic process determines that treatment is required, you get it treated and get on with life. I was diagnosed four years ago at the age of 55, had radiotherapy three years ago, and life is good.

All you can really do at the moment is wait for the diagnostic process to happen (which unfortunately does usually take 2-3 months all in) and then you'll know where things stand.

Very best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 12 Apr 2022 at 17:52  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 13:06
How old are you, Ramon?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 14:58

Ok got your age in your profile 77. So more likely than not you have PC. As long as it is not progressing fast you will probably die of something else long before this gets troublesome. Definitely worth keeping an eye on, hopefully not worth doing anything about.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 17:05

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your response and reassurances.

With Best Wishes 

Ramon

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 17:32

Hello Chris,

Thanks for responding…

Best Wishes 

Ramon

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 17:52

As Dave commented, prostate cancer is basically just part of the ageing process for a man, and more than three quarters of men your age do have it, so don't get too stressed about it. With a PSA of 8, if you do have it, it's almost certainly to be localised (contained within the prostate) and localised prostate cancer is a condition with excellent treatment success rates. You'll die with it, not from it. If the diagnostic process determines that treatment is required, you get it treated and get on with life. I was diagnosed four years ago at the age of 55, had radiotherapy three years ago, and life is good.

All you can really do at the moment is wait for the diagnostic process to happen (which unfortunately does usually take 2-3 months all in) and then you'll know where things stand.

Very best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 12 Apr 2022 at 17:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 20:23

Dave, 

Thank you so much for your reassuring comments. I am not the type to dwell over things... I intend to just get on with my life as normal and just deal with whatever I may have to deal with at the time. To me being a 'Petrol Head' it is just one of life's chicanes to negotiate. 😀

With Best Wishes

Ramon