I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads started getting pain

User
Posted 13 Apr 2022 at 03:47

My dad was diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer in august 2020 he has not had pain until now and has started to get pain at random times

he has been very active all his life and cared for my mum with MS and now lives on his own I am his only support now and am finding this tough 

we had a check with the GP this week and I am hoping he will stabilise again but am scared I won’t be able to cope

i read some of the posts here and found others in similar situations and just wondered if anyone who has been in this situation could give me some thoughts as to what coping mechanisms we could both use.  

thanks in advance 

Heather 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 09:51

Where is the pain?

Is it near any known mets?

How is his PSA currently, stable?

Has the pain been identified as related to the prostate cancer?

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 12:13
Prostate cancer pain usually comes from bone mets and can in many cases be controlled by zapping the mets with a localised dose of radiation. Do you know if he's had a bone scan recently?

It is of course entirely possible that the pain is unrelated to his cancer. What does his GP say about it?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 19 Apr 2022 at 21:51

No his psa was stable but the pain is in his buttocks and is irritating him when driving or sitting

it comes and goes so not constant GP has examined him and he has been taking paracetamol (he has never taken painkillers before) 

I am going to call support nurse at hospital tomorrow to see if we need to talk to consultant before next review in May…

Gp was calm so am taking my lead from her