Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RP - advice for after, please

User
Posted 13 Apr 2022 at 06:13

Hi Everybody, 

after long deliberations OH has decided that if Nanoknife is not an option he is going with RP and we are now planning for that eventuality.

I know this has been asked before and I apologise for repeating the question, but what supplies would you recommend?

Regarding sleeping arrangements, OH thinks until the catheter has been removed he can sleep in the spare room on a camp bed/airbed so that if he is moving about he will not disturb me and I get a good nights sleep. I appreciate his consideration, but I think we should get a waterproof sheet for our bed and he sleeps where he belongs.  

May I ask how you  coped with this time?

Thank you very much for your help

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 16:34

I slept in the same bed as my wife and didn't disturb her. I am sure that was partly due to the fact that I stayed very much over on 'my side' so as to be sure not to pull the catheter drain. I dispensed with the stand entirely and used a bucket. The stand seemed very flimsy and prone to falling over. My night bags were drainable and since the urine is only going one way, I didn't consider infection to be a problem. We did fit a waterproof undersheet but thankfully, it has never been necessary. You will have read this on many other posts but I'll say it again- when you go to the TWOC clinic to have the catheter removed. take pads/pull ups, spare underwear, trousers (loose fitting) and something to put the wet ones in.

Good luck!! 

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 08:41

I didnt find the catheter much of a problem overnight. Using a night bag in a bucket next to the bed worked fine. Daytime with a leg bag is when I noticed it.

Should be fine in normal bed didnt cause much disruption for us.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 08:46
The protective sheet will be needed once the catheter has been removed. Shouldn't need it while it's in!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 10:14

DW accidental disconnections is the worst case scenario. I got a couple of extra catheter thigh straps , at night I connect the night bag tube to a strap around my ankle, this reduces the risk of pulling the night bag tube out of the leg bag. Make sure the inner and outer surface of the catheter tubes are  dry before they are put together, moisture on the connections make some easier to come apart, which you don't want. He wants to be sleeping in his own comfortable bed after surgery, a normal bed will normally be higher than an air or camp bed and will help keep the leg bag draining . Make sure you understand what position is open and closed with the taps, you don't want to be disconnecting the night bag with the leg bag tap open. Accidentally catching the leg bag tap with trousers when going pass a motion is another issue, you suddenly wonder why your shoe is full of urine. I have a locking device on my leg bag. By passing, where urine comes out of the penis past the catheter is frequently mentioned a pad in the underwear will catch the small dribble and a bit of tissue on the thigh under the end of the penis will catch any urine bypassing the catheter when passing a motion.

Night bags come as drainable or non drainable so you may get two night bags or 14. There is alot of debate about night bags and infection control, I got 14 bags post op and I had to break the tap or cut the corner off to drain.

Hope all goes well. Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 11:31

You won’t need a sheet until after the catheter comes out anyway. I found I slept perfectly normally with bag on at night. 

I brought a night stand and put my bag on that on the floor and all was fine (apart from one night I got up and knocked it all over 😂) 

nice that OH is thinking of you but I wouldn’t bother, he will be fine and never kept my OH awake at all. 

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 20:49
Echo what others have said. Don’t rush out and buy anything yet until decision is made. Everything you need is readily available online or high street. Once he knows if he is opting for RP, i can help with a list x
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 08:41

I didnt find the catheter much of a problem overnight. Using a night bag in a bucket next to the bed worked fine. Daytime with a leg bag is when I noticed it.

Should be fine in normal bed didnt cause much disruption for us.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 08:46
The protective sheet will be needed once the catheter has been removed. Shouldn't need it while it's in!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 10:14

DW accidental disconnections is the worst case scenario. I got a couple of extra catheter thigh straps , at night I connect the night bag tube to a strap around my ankle, this reduces the risk of pulling the night bag tube out of the leg bag. Make sure the inner and outer surface of the catheter tubes are  dry before they are put together, moisture on the connections make some easier to come apart, which you don't want. He wants to be sleeping in his own comfortable bed after surgery, a normal bed will normally be higher than an air or camp bed and will help keep the leg bag draining . Make sure you understand what position is open and closed with the taps, you don't want to be disconnecting the night bag with the leg bag tap open. Accidentally catching the leg bag tap with trousers when going pass a motion is another issue, you suddenly wonder why your shoe is full of urine. I have a locking device on my leg bag. By passing, where urine comes out of the penis past the catheter is frequently mentioned a pad in the underwear will catch the small dribble and a bit of tissue on the thigh under the end of the penis will catch any urine bypassing the catheter when passing a motion.

Night bags come as drainable or non drainable so you may get two night bags or 14. There is alot of debate about night bags and infection control, I got 14 bags post op and I had to break the tap or cut the corner off to drain.

Hope all goes well. Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 11:31

You won’t need a sheet until after the catheter comes out anyway. I found I slept perfectly normally with bag on at night. 

I brought a night stand and put my bag on that on the floor and all was fine (apart from one night I got up and knocked it all over 😂) 

nice that OH is thinking of you but I wouldn’t bother, he will be fine and never kept my OH awake at all. 

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 16:34

I slept in the same bed as my wife and didn't disturb her. I am sure that was partly due to the fact that I stayed very much over on 'my side' so as to be sure not to pull the catheter drain. I dispensed with the stand entirely and used a bucket. The stand seemed very flimsy and prone to falling over. My night bags were drainable and since the urine is only going one way, I didn't consider infection to be a problem. We did fit a waterproof undersheet but thankfully, it has never been necessary. You will have read this on many other posts but I'll say it again- when you go to the TWOC clinic to have the catheter removed. take pads/pull ups, spare underwear, trousers (loose fitting) and something to put the wet ones in.

Good luck!! 

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 20:49
Echo what others have said. Don’t rush out and buy anything yet until decision is made. Everything you need is readily available online or high street. Once he knows if he is opting for RP, i can help with a list x