Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Possible treatment side effects?

User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 06:38

Hi everyone I'm just looking for a bit of help/advice

My dad is a very fit 73 year old and in August of 2021 was diagnosed with localised prostate cancer (gleason 7). He was accepted to the PACE trial for which he completed in February of this year and has been on monthly Prostap injections since diagnosis. Recent blood test after his PACE treatment has ended has given a PSA reading of 0.13mcg/L 

However he is experiencing shortness of breath when walking his little dog (they wall about a mile every morning) and some chest pain.

He's got an appointment for a chest xray and heart monitor in the next week but I was just hoping someone had experienced the same side effects/symptoms as this due to the PACE radiotherapy treatment or the hormone injections to kinda put my mind at ease a little and his too. 

User
Posted 15 Apr 2022 at 13:35
I had Zoladex HT prior to my RT. It caused premature fatigue and slight tightness breathlessness when I played short tennis twice a week so that I had to sit out more games than usual. The HT was continued for the duration of RT which made the the symptoms worse and it was an effort to walk far, even at a slow pace but I forced myself to do this to retain some fitness. (It's all too easy to just sit around just watching TV or reading etc.). I think quite a number of men are affected like this. After HT ended, which in my case also coincided with the end of RT, I gradually got back to pre treatment fitness levels. I think being fit and playing sports helps and as you might expect younger men tend to recover quicker than older ones.
Barry
User
Posted 15 Apr 2022 at 15:08
Fatigue is a very common side effect of HT. Sensible to get his heart checked out, but I suspect that it is just the HT.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 21:53
I was concerned to read on the leaflet that came with HT injection that there was a 1 in10 chance of Hart attack from the HT injection 😟
User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 00:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I was concerned to read on the leaflet that came with HT injection that there was a 1 in10 chance of Hart attack from the HT injection 😟

That can not be right. My GP was doing about 10 injections a month for HT he would have been losing more patients to heart disease than cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 07:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Read it again and tell us what it actually says. I'm absolutely certainly you've misread it. If 1 in 10 patients on HT had a heart attack, the treatment would kill more people than the disease!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 07:58
This is what says on the Zoladex IS 10.8 my implant into for user leaflet

Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)

Pain in your lower back or problems passing urine. If this happens, talk to your doctor.

Bone pain at the beginning of treatment. If this happens, talk to your doctor.

Temporary worsening of symptoms of your cancer at the beginning of treatment.

Thinning of your bones.

Rises in blood sugar levels.

Tingling in your fingers or toes.

Skin rashes.

Hair loss.

Weight gain.

Pain in the joints.

Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)

Pain in your lower back or problems passing urine. If this happens, talk to your doctor.

Bone pain at the beginning of treatment. If this happens, talk to your doctor.

Temporary worsening of symptoms of your cancer at the beginning of treatment.

Thinning of your bones.

Rises in blood sugar levels.

Tingling in your fingers or toes.

Skin rashes.

Hair loss.

Weight gain.

Pain in the joints.

Reduced heart function or heart attack.

Changes in blood pressure.

Swelling and tenderness of your breasts.

Changes in your mood (including depression).

Changes in blood pressure.

Swelling and tenderness of your breasts.

Changes in your mood (including depression).