I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone Treatment Skin Rash

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 17:21

Please help! My Dad was diagnosed in September but he also had a primary lung cancer so he had surgery for that and is now due to have radiotherapy for his prostate cancer. He has had 2 Hormone injections and 8 weeks ago he started to get a terrible rash. This 'rash' is now all over his body, not one inch of him is clear and his skin is all thickening over. It looks like it's all swollen and cracking. He has tried every skin treatment going.

The GP finally gave him a biopsy 2 weeks ago and they are now saying another 6 weeks for results. But onto why have posted it here. Is there any way that this could be a reaction to the Hormone Therapy? We really don't know what else it could be and no-one appears to care. 

He is 67 and before September was fit and strong and now he is a broken man, this skin disease had totally devastated him and we can't get to the bottom of it. We are obviously concerned it could be another cancer too.

So has anyone experienced an allergic reaction to the Hormone Therapy. Bearing in mind he had already had his first injection and was ok? 

Thank you for reading. 

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 18:30

Been on hormone therapy for 13 months never had skin reaction  but we are all different  probably needs checking out to see the cause 👍

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 21:47
He needs to go back to oncologists that put him on HT . Never heard of having HT before biopsy surly they don't know if he has PC or the level of PC!
User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 00:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
...Never heard of having HT before biopsy surly they don't know if he has PC or the level of PC!...

I am going to guess biopsy in this case means skin biopsy not prostate biopsy. 

Anyway, no I don't think I have ever heard of a skin rash from HT. And I can't see how HT could cause a skin rash, but I guess anything is possible. Needs investigation.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 06:56

I had a mild skin rash on my lower legs as a reaction to HT, but in my case it was easily controlled with a steroid skin cream. I've never heard of a severe reaction like this before - I do hope that the oncologist is able to find a solution for you.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 13:16

This is a possible explanation which at least can be easily tested. ADT can lead to diabetes after a few months. Diabetes increases the chance of a yeast infection. You could try an anti Thrush cream or anti athlete's foot cream (both easy to get over the counter at pharmacy) and see if it improves things.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4931216/

If you try this please let us know if it works or fails it may help others.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 01:07

My Dad had the exact same reaction to the hormone treatment about 8 weeks after his first injection and it took over 9 months for his skin to return to anything like normal…he had steroids and high dose of antihistamine to try and ease it but it was awful for a long time.

Because he is 85 now they haven’t really offered him any other treatment and he is struggling with blood in his urine. They just keep checking his PSA which has been rising since the beginning of the year when the effects of the injection wore off.

He is now struggling with blood in his urine and they said try the tablets but he’s worried sick that’ll the rash will return. They sent they’d send him an appt to discuss and one came through for December! He feels totally neglected and as if they are just hoping he’ll die of something else to save them a job!

His treatment has been awful.

I know your Dad is younger, but what did they offer him as an alternative? Hope they found something to help. 

Thank you

User
Posted 28 Aug 2023 at 07:01
Gary has been on HT for nearly 8 yrs and had never had a problem but strangely 3 weeks ago after his injection like Cheshire Chris his lower legs from feet to knees became inflamed and severely itchy . Lasted about 2 weeks but had to take antihistamines to stop itching. Maybe a coincidence but we’ve had to change Drs due to ours closing and this was the first time with them .

Hopefully a one off .

Best wishes

Debby