I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diet for dad

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 22:19

Hi, I wondered if you could help. My dad is having his Prostate removed next Saturday and has been told to alter his diet in the week leading up to the op and also afterwards. I'm trying to help him out and find out some info but getting really confused. Is it less red meat, dairy etc and in the lead up meat like fish and chicken. Any help or advice is welcomed. Thank you

User
Posted 16 Apr 2022 at 22:46

Hi,

After the op he needs to be able to pass soft motions so bran and perhaps ground flax seeds added to the diet will do some good.   Hard motions can be difficult to pass and he doesn't want to strain the stitches it can cause bleeding and long term problems.   Some of the blood will be seen as it passes down his catheter.  Some bleeding will happen anyway so no need to be anxious about it unless it's very red.

He will have a catheter for a short while. Liquid helps to soften motions so he needs a good regular amount but not too much.

Fruit and greens, wholemeal bread are good for softer motions.

Apart from operation time there are a number of theories about diet and prostate cancer although I'm not sure if they're proven.  Most people say in general eat a healthy diet with greens and fruit, whole grains, white meat and fish, although for prostate cancer some say a low dairy and low carb diet is good.

In the short term I'd make sure he's passing soft or at least easily passing motions by the time of the op.

All the best, Peter

Edited by member 16 Apr 2022 at 22:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 09:33

Hello,

Prior to and after prostate surgery, it's advisable to avoid red meat, dairy, and fatty foods. Instead, incorporate fish, chicken, vegetables, and fruits into the diet. Consult with a healthcare professional for specific dietary recommendations.

Best regard,
Wellcare Medicare Login

Edited by member 03 May 2023 at 05:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 10:38
No actual evidence on red meat either way. Be careful what you read!

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 13:18
Just to be clear, is it the hospital team that has advised him to change his diet, or some well-meaning friend or neighbour? If the hospital told him to change his diet, they would usually have provided an advice sheet. Well-meaning friends & neighbours are a menace.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 13:50

Some people's answer is cut down on red meat, whatever the question is.

Similarly dairy.