I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad acting strange

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 11:09

This is a bit difficult to explain! My dad has had advanced prostate cancer for 7 years. He’s on a stampede trial and has been for 7 years. In the last couple of days he’s been acting strange. He came seem to connect with what he’s thinking to trying to say it. It’s like he can’t think of the right things to say. Yesterday he was confused when he woke up and couldn’t figure out who my mum was. Then he got upset because he couldn’t read a letter. He said the letters and words just don’t make any sense. He knows somethings wrong but can’t understand why. He’s been in fairly good health prior to this. He rarely takes pain killers. It’s spread to his bones but on the whole he’s not too bad. This is just very strange. When my young nephews visited yesterday. It was like he couldn’t think what to say. He just kept smiling. So strange one day ok and then the next this! 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 12:48
This sounds very much like the symptoms of a minor stroke. I'd get him down to A&E and get him checked out ASAP.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 22:04

Thank you everyone. Mum rang 111, they spoke to my dad and realised he was finding it difficult to get some of his words out. They sent an ambulance. Paramedics thought he had probably had a stroke and took him to hospital for further tests. They have confirmed tonight that he has had a stroke. Keeping him in for further tests tomorrow. I’m concerned that it’s the medication that has caused it and they’ll take him off it, which will be a shame when it seemed to have worked so well for the last 7 years. 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 22:37
I doubt medication he has been taking for so long would so suddenly produce such a change and believe it is down to the stroke. Nevertheless, it would be sensible to review medication in the light of what has happened.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 07:12
Glad to hear that he's doing ok. I doubt that the stroke had any connection with the medication, but I'm sure that they'll check it out.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 18:05

Just an update. It’s my dads AF that caused his stroke. So he is now unable to continue with the trial drugs as they won’t let you take them with blood thinners. His oncologist today has said just 3 monthly hormone injections and he’ll see him in a year. I think mum and dad are worried as this had been working well for the last 7 years. Im sure if things change then hopefully they will be able to offer him some other treatment?! 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 12:48
This sounds very much like the symptoms of a minor stroke. I'd get him down to A&E and get him checked out ASAP.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 12:59

I was thinking more of the long term side effects from HT. like women and menopause the brain fog and difficulty trying to get words out. He’s always had bad sweats that have never got better over time. 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 13:02

I think this is called brain fog. It has been associated with COVID, but I think you would see at least some other symptom like coughing. It also sounds like one of the symptoms of a stroke, again you might expect to see another symptom like weakness on one side of the body. I think a call to NHS 111 would be a good idea, possibly A and E if anything else is odd.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 13:04
"Brain fog" is certainly a side-effect of HT - I experienced it myself - but it comes on gradually; you don't just wake up with it one morning. A sudden inability to recognise a loved one and to find the right words are classic stroke symptoms. I really would get him checked out if he were my dad.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 22:04

Thank you everyone. Mum rang 111, they spoke to my dad and realised he was finding it difficult to get some of his words out. They sent an ambulance. Paramedics thought he had probably had a stroke and took him to hospital for further tests. They have confirmed tonight that he has had a stroke. Keeping him in for further tests tomorrow. I’m concerned that it’s the medication that has caused it and they’ll take him off it, which will be a shame when it seemed to have worked so well for the last 7 years. 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 22:37
I doubt medication he has been taking for so long would so suddenly produce such a change and believe it is down to the stroke. Nevertheless, it would be sensible to review medication in the light of what has happened.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 07:12
Glad to hear that he's doing ok. I doubt that the stroke had any connection with the medication, but I'm sure that they'll check it out.

All the best,

Chris
User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 18:05

Just an update. It’s my dads AF that caused his stroke. So he is now unable to continue with the trial drugs as they won’t let you take them with blood thinners. His oncologist today has said just 3 monthly hormone injections and he’ll see him in a year. I think mum and dad are worried as this had been working well for the last 7 years. Im sure if things change then hopefully they will be able to offer him some other treatment?!