Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in urine and PSA of 9

User
Posted 19 Apr 2022 at 08:46

Hi, 

My dad (63) has recently visited GP with intermittent episodes of Blood in urine. 

He reports he had it a year ago on an odd occasion (but put it down to food such as beetroots). 

Almost a year on symptom free… the blood in the grime has come back not still on and off but much more regularly. 

Other than this he has general urine symptoms of weak flow and getting up through the night- which he put down to the age so never got it checked earlier. 

He went to his GP recently who have carried out numerous tests. 

He has a PSA of 9. On rectal examination they felt the right seemed slightly enlarged. 

He has just been for his MRI and awaiting results.

I’m so worried for him, but trying to stay strong

has anybody else had blood in urine? 
ive googled (I know) and it says only in advanced stages- which has worried me even more. 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2022 at 10:10

It is unlikely to be advanced cancer with a PSA of 9 . At 63 and with a DRE showing an abnormality it is more likely cancer than not, but don't go assuming the worst.

I haven't heard many people mention blood in the urine, but it was a symptom in a friend of mine (and it was not advanced).

Dave

User
Posted 26 Apr 2022 at 14:48

Hi just read your post, as Dave said, blood in urine is not necessarily a sign of advanced PC. I had blood in my urine and a weak flow but didn't realise I had PC until I had a PSA test done. I was treated at UCLH and, so far, am cancer free four years after treatment.

Even if your father is diagnosed with PC there are a large number of treatment options available all with very good outcomes. So don't despair and don't read to much on the internet, there is a lot of disinformation on there as well as good advice, however sometimes it can be hard to sort out the good from the bad. 

If you need advice call one of the PCUK nurses they can give you a lot of reassurance and proper advice.

Regards

Ants