I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy & HT Advice

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 08:53

Looking for some advice/help/information. i have been on HT since beginning of January and PSA has came down from 88 to 2.6 which is encouraging.

I was given 2 options as previously mentioned 1. Radiotherapy with HT for up to 3 years or 2. Surgery and possibly RT after ( My 1st scans confirmed  T3 (N1, M0) (Gleason score 4+5= 9 ) which they said 1 lymph node had cancer.

After a in depth scan they discovered several lymph nodes have cancer dotted about the pelvic area and the surgery team confirmed that surgery was not an option and Radiotherapy was the route to go.

Just got my consultation letter through saying my appointment to discuss RT treatment is not till 20th May 2022 which concerned me as that will be 5 months since i was diagnosed.

I have been on Hormone treatment - 1 month tablets and 3 monthly injections since then

Should i be worried that its taken so long as don't know when my RT will start ???

Your comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Grigor

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 17:47

Hi Grigor. I understand the HT should stop things in their tracks while waiting for the RT to start. Chris

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 18:50
It’s entirely normal to be on HT for six months prior to RT, so don’t worry about it. With your diagnosis, RT seems like the clear winner. There’s an extremely high probability that surgery wouldn’t be able to remove all the cancer so you’d subsequently need RT anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 13:26

Hi,

Yes being on CC will park your cancer..  it causes the cancer to stop growing and even shrink. So it's normal to wait at least 4 months. Some guys on here have even deliberately waited an extra month or two for their PSA to get to its nadir before RT. So you shouldn't worry.

That interview will just be to inform you about the procedure, get you to sign the consent form. You'll then have a wait for your planning scan ...then another wait...could be a month or more for the actual Radiation Treatment.. .which should be fairly easy. It's the logistics of getting there every day etc but the actual event is just minutes! There's a video on my blog of me having it!

So time to chill a bit.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 14:01

Hi Grigor, Yes six months of HT prior to RT will give better outcome than having RT straight away.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 17:47

Hi Grigor. I understand the HT should stop things in their tracks while waiting for the RT to start. Chris

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 18:50
It’s entirely normal to be on HT for six months prior to RT, so don’t worry about it. With your diagnosis, RT seems like the clear winner. There’s an extremely high probability that surgery wouldn’t be able to remove all the cancer so you’d subsequently need RT anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 13:26

Hi,

Yes being on CC will park your cancer..  it causes the cancer to stop growing and even shrink. So it's normal to wait at least 4 months. Some guys on here have even deliberately waited an extra month or two for their PSA to get to its nadir before RT. So you shouldn't worry.

That interview will just be to inform you about the procedure, get you to sign the consent form. You'll then have a wait for your planning scan ...then another wait...could be a month or more for the actual Radiation Treatment.. .which should be fairly easy. It's the logistics of getting there every day etc but the actual event is just minutes! There's a video on my blog of me having it!

So time to chill a bit.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 14:01

Hi Grigor, Yes six months of HT prior to RT will give better outcome than having RT straight away.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 20:44
I had locally advanced PCAa, slight spread to seminals nowhere else, was on Zoladex for 12 months prior to RT. Initially out of naivety and innocence, I was in bit of a panic but needlessly. All went to plan. Delay due to having TURP, then holiday, then marriage etc. Oncologist quite happy for length of time before RT, obviously.

Peter