Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting short term Bicalutamide hormone tablets

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 13:01

Hi all 🙏

My Prostatectomy has been delayed by 4-6 weeks due to problems at the hospital (mainly caused by Covid messing up the admin department). I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the beginning of March.

I have been prescribed Bicalutamide 150mg hormone tablets to take from now until the operation which will be early June hopefully. This is to keep the cancer at bay. I'm starting today.

I just wondered if anyone can tell me how likely and how soon I might notice side effects such as hot flushes and nipple tenderness, low libido, tiredness etc?

Many thanks in advance 

Aidan

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 15:21
Everyone reacts differently, of course, but I was on 150mg bicalutimide for 18 months and didn't really start to notice any side effects until I was a couple of months in.

Very best wishes for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 15:37
I was on that dose for 11 months. Lots of fatigue for a fortnight then no side effects at all. Libido was good , no weight gain or nipple pain. They did put me on tamoxifen though to hold this back. Good luck 🤞
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 15:21
Everyone reacts differently, of course, but I was on 150mg bicalutimide for 18 months and didn't really start to notice any side effects until I was a couple of months in.

Very best wishes for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 15:37
I was on that dose for 11 months. Lots of fatigue for a fortnight then no side effects at all. Libido was good , no weight gain or nipple pain. They did put me on tamoxifen though to hold this back. Good luck 🤞
User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 15:48
Thanks guys, I'm hoping it will be ok for the short time period. They have said they will give me something else, presumably tamoxifen, if I get tender nipples. I chose surgery in large part because I really didn't like the sound of the side effects of hormone therapy, which is why I have a concern.