I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about symptoms with high PSA

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 08:25

Hi noticed over a few weeks that i was having trouble to urinate weak flow, stop starting, having urge to go again straight after eventually I couldn’t go at all . 
Went to the doctors who sent me to A&E who then fitted a catheter to drain my bladder this i then had in for 7 days and given Tamsulosin to take. After catheter removed  urination it back to my normal still weak flow with weeing more during the night . Having an appointment booked for bloods to check for PSA level which came back at 34.8 i was ask to book an appointment with my doctor to have a prostate check. 
After speaking to my doctor he said normally i would check your prostate and possibly send you for a scan but I’m not going to do this, i want you to take antibiotics for two weeks then have another PSA check and come back and see me which totally caught me off hand  as i had bloods at the hospital which were clear of infection I’ve got no symptoms of infection apart from having prostitis 7 years ago which seems to be the reason he has put me on antibiotics for two weeks    When i ask him about my PSA level he just said its nothing to worry about its a little bit high which warrants further investigation to see why but nothing to worry about  lots of things can effect it riding a bike can raise it. Which would be great if i rode a bike !!!
So here we are finished my antibiotics last week had my bloods done Friday waiting for them to come back worried sick and no confidence in my doctor time i get an appointment with my doctor next week a month will have nearly past of not sleeping properly due to worry just hoping  this new blood test will have a PSA level back to normal but knowing in the back of my mind it probably won’t be be . 

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 19:54

Your symptoms, A and E visit, catheter, high PSA (mine was 29) are pretty much identical to mine. I was age 53. My doctor was a bit more proactive. As Barry says, this is a slow growing cancer, a month will make no difference, if you have PCa you have probably already had it for a couple of years, and it is still almost certainly curable.

Did anyone do a PSA test 7years ago? If you have some PSA results to compare over a period of time, it is far more useful than just one result.

If the next PSA test shows a reading of more than 4.0 then I would expect a referral to urology. We have had someone who's PSA was 70 and they did not have cancer, so it is by no means certain you have it.

(P.s. Gaz thanks for the shout out)

Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 18:59

Sometimes there can be a combination of things that can cause a higher PSA figure than the range for age. We don't know whether a urine culture test was done rather than just a dip test. You don't seem to have had a DRE or an MRI so you may have a very enlarged Prostate pushing up your PSA. I would press your GP at your forthcoming meeting with him/her for an early appointment with Urology if the antibiotics haven't brought your PSA down substantially.

Naturally, the possibility of having PCa is of great concern but where this is the cause you should be aware that it is generally slow growing and there are various treatments depending how advanced it is. You don't list your age but by the time men reach their fifties, about half of them will have already got some cancer in their Prostates. Most men with PCa die of something else even without any treatment. Those who have ever improving treatment further improve their chances of beating it entirely or delaying death from it.

Try to avoid worrying. Press to get to bottom of your situation asap and let us know how you get on.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2022 at 19:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 19:36

Ditto Barry has spoken a lot of sense as usual you need to go through all the tests to come up with a treatment plan if the next psa test is high hopefully you won't need to and it will be ok we have all been here before it is stressfully but hoping you will be in the clear all the best gaz

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 19:40

There is loads off experience on here all willing to help Lyn Barry Dave 64 and others who log on regularly to give their knowledge on this horrible desease you only have to ask 👍

Edited by member 24 Apr 2022 at 19:46  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 21:35
I think NHS guidelines say that a PSA of over 4.5 should result in a referral to the "Cancer Pathway" @ your local hospital. If your GP doesn't refer you ask why.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 18:59

Sometimes there can be a combination of things that can cause a higher PSA figure than the range for age. We don't know whether a urine culture test was done rather than just a dip test. You don't seem to have had a DRE or an MRI so you may have a very enlarged Prostate pushing up your PSA. I would press your GP at your forthcoming meeting with him/her for an early appointment with Urology if the antibiotics haven't brought your PSA down substantially.

Naturally, the possibility of having PCa is of great concern but where this is the cause you should be aware that it is generally slow growing and there are various treatments depending how advanced it is. You don't list your age but by the time men reach their fifties, about half of them will have already got some cancer in their Prostates. Most men with PCa die of something else even without any treatment. Those who have ever improving treatment further improve their chances of beating it entirely or delaying death from it.

Try to avoid worrying. Press to get to bottom of your situation asap and let us know how you get on.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2022 at 19:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 19:36

Ditto Barry has spoken a lot of sense as usual you need to go through all the tests to come up with a treatment plan if the next psa test is high hopefully you won't need to and it will be ok we have all been here before it is stressfully but hoping you will be in the clear all the best gaz

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 19:40

There is loads off experience on here all willing to help Lyn Barry Dave 64 and others who log on regularly to give their knowledge on this horrible desease you only have to ask 👍

Edited by member 24 Apr 2022 at 19:46  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 19:54

Your symptoms, A and E visit, catheter, high PSA (mine was 29) are pretty much identical to mine. I was age 53. My doctor was a bit more proactive. As Barry says, this is a slow growing cancer, a month will make no difference, if you have PCa you have probably already had it for a couple of years, and it is still almost certainly curable.

Did anyone do a PSA test 7years ago? If you have some PSA results to compare over a period of time, it is far more useful than just one result.

If the next PSA test shows a reading of more than 4.0 then I would expect a referral to urology. We have had someone who's PSA was 70 and they did not have cancer, so it is by no means certain you have it.

(P.s. Gaz thanks for the shout out)

Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 20:19

No problem Dave you have been a massive help to me and hopefully others 👍

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 20:22

Thanks everyone for your kind  positive replies just to fill in some blanks on my history i missed off i’m 55 the last time i had a PSA check was in 2019 while having a well man checkup which was 1.1  i have had two urine culture tests and dip tests within the last month all have come back negative as well as two  blood test which have come back negative for any infection. 
if this latest PSA test comes back abnormal I’m hoping this will kick my doctor into action and refer me to the hospital for a scan or i should say i will be making sure he is more proactive and refers me will update later in the week. 

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 21:35
I think NHS guidelines say that a PSA of over 4.5 should result in a referral to the "Cancer Pathway" @ your local hospital. If your GP doesn't refer you ask why.