Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any runners or cyclists on here?

User
Posted 26 Apr 2022 at 20:03

Hi,

I had a robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomy just over 5 months ago. In normal day to day life, I would say I am now completely back to normal.

But, before the procedure I was a keen runner - I even ran my first ever marathon 3 weeks before surgery. I started running again about 3 months ago and was, perhaps optimistically, expecting to be getting back to normal by now. But I'm not, I struggle to do much more than a 5km Parkrun and even then, I am totally whacked at the end of it, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I basically have next to no strength or stamina!

This seems at odds with feeling completely normal when I'm not exerting myself.

So, I was wondering if there are any other runners or cyclists who have had the same procedure and, if so, how long post surgery did it take to get anywhere close to pre-surgery performance?

Thanks

User
Posted 26 Apr 2022 at 23:27
Runner/cyclist here and while my treatment was different to yours, radiotherapy followed by hormone therapy, I was set back considerably by the experience and had the same feeling of lacking endurance towards the end of a run/ride.

I can't see how old you are from your profile but if you're 60+ it could be that you should be taking some form of protein supplement. I think you'll find that you get back to normal eventually. Don't discount the months where you couldn't exercise, it does take time to come back from a break particularly if you've been through a medical experience of significance.

I can't tell you how long it might take to get back to normal as I'm still on Zoladex and it is something of a drag on feeling normal :-), though I've made big gains in recent months.

Jules
User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 08:19

I am mainly a runner (30 miles/week) but also cycle a lot and am aged 66. I had a prostatectomy like you did (this was in Spring 2019). It took longer for me to get back running properly than cycling due to the effects of the several wounds in my abdomen. I'd say that I was back to the previous level of running fitness within four months. Apart from that, I haven't experienced the tiredness that you have when exercising. Maybe you have something else going on?

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 08:31

Cyclist and runner here- 60 this year. I had an open RP. Was running at around 10 weeks and cycling at 12. Can't say I experienced what you are describing at all. I do wonder whether it is something else? Long COVID?

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 22:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

So, I was wondering if there are any other runners or cyclists who have had the same procedure and, if so, how long post surgery did it take to get anywhere close to pre-surgery performance?

Cyclist here. I had a RARP in June 2020. Followed my recovery instructions to the letter. Didn't sit on a bike for 6 weeks. Thereafter I gradually ramped back up, starting with a 20 minute ride. Gained a little weight and lost a little fitness in the 6 weeks off, but gradually improved was up to 30 miles by the end of August and took a short sprint climb KoM by the end of September (still got it too). 

I would say it took a few months to feel as I did before, but you really don't want to push it too hard too quickly. Celebrated the anniversary of my surgery with a ton in glorious sunshine.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 03 May 2022 at 20:55

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been wondering if something else is going on - don't think it is covid though as I've never knowingly had it.

I am making some progress though - last weekend, for the first time, I managed to run Parkrun at faster than my marathon pace from last year. Not sure I could have run another 100m though, let alone another 37km!

I attempted some core exercises afterwards (first time since surgery) and was taken aback that I couldn't manage more than a couple of sit ups - and the next day I felt like I'd been in the boxing ring with Tyson Fury. I'm thinking that maybe if I concentrate on strengthening my abdominal muscles (which, after all, is where all the cuts were made), my running form might come back.

I know from reading posts on this forum that I am so lucky in so many ways compared to others that have had this surgery and if I never recover my pre-surgery form so be it - I will count my blessings and resign myself to my best running days being behind me 😃