I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Seminal vesicles inltration

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 21:20

Hi my  husband  just  diagnosed ca  of Prostate  end  of Feb. PSA OF 48. MRI  showed  extracapsular  spread  to  possible  lymph  nodes enlargement  x3   within  pelvis  but  most  worryingly is that  it  also mentions possible  seminal  vesicles  infiltration. I feel this will mean  a  poor  prognosis  for my OH.   Any  others  on  forum  with  any  advice  re  same  would  be  very  grateful.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 22:13

Hi Ann,

Sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis.

I’m sure more experienced people will be able to post with better advice but just to let you know a bit of my husbands story.

His PSA was 8.3 and was diagnosed before op as T3a N1 so it had spread to atleast 1 lymph node. They hadn’t mentioned any spread to seminal vesicles although I know they were taken away during the operation along with 14 lymph nodes.

He has been recovering really well so far but we know he may need more treatment (radiotherapy) in the future. 

There are so many treatment options so try not to worry too much. It just takes a while to get all the information and to be able to make decisions. 

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 08:31

Hi  Anne,

Tony was diagnosed over 16 years ago now with spread to the seminals , he had HT and radiotherapy and he is still here. he has had quite a few treatments but until  about 3 or 4 years ago had no problems from his diagnosis or treatments and there are so many more treatments availab;e now since his diagnosis.

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 09:10

The lymph node involvement is probably more serious than the seminal vesicle involvement. Either of these mean prostatectomy is unlikely to be successful, but radiotherapy and hormone therapy could be successful, and they'll probably offer chemo or one of the novel hormone therapy treatments too because of the lymph node involvement.

You might want to talk about having a PSMA PET scan (ideally before starting hormone therapy) because that will identify more accurately the lymph node involvement and hence might impact the radiotherapy planning to ensure it's all caught during the radiotherapy. On the other hand, it might identify more distant mets too, in which case they might not offer radiotherapy.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 12:53

Hi Barbara..thanks  for  your  very  helpful  reply  as it  is  very  reassuring  regarding  outlook  and  seminal vesicle involvement. Would  you  mind  telling  me  what  age  your  husband  was  on  first  diagnosed.. my  husband  is  64. Again  many  thanks

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 12:57

Hi  Andy62..many  thanks for  your reply..yes indeed the  lymph  nodes  are  worrying  and  have  taken  your  advice  on  board re Psma Pet scan. We  have  a consutation in  am with consultant  for  biopsies  to  be  done  and receive ct  and  bone scan results so hopefully it will leave  us  with  a  clearer  treatment  plan.  

User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 07:04
Hi Ann, Tony was 61 on diagnosis he will be 78 in november.

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 07:42
Hi Ann ,my OH was diagnosed 6.5 yrs ago PSA 23 Gleason 4+5 spread to para aorta lymph nodes .

He had 6 rounds of early chemo where after the 3/4 th his PSA went to undetectable and has stayed there ever since .

He is enrolled on the stampede trial which is Abiraterone and enzo combo .

He still works full time but at a slower pace but we still enjoy most things .

Hope this helps

Debby

User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 14:37

Hi  Barbara..thanks  for  your  very  helpful  reply. It is reassuringx

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 20:31

Lymph nodes will swell up in the case of infection too, indeed that's their normal function when draining lymphatic fluid from an area with an infection.

The traditional way to tell the difference is to see if hormone therapy shrinks the lymph nodes, in which case it suggests they have prostate cancer cells in them. Another way nowadays would be to get a PET scan, and see it they light up on it.