Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recently diagnosed Advanced Prostate cancer

User
Posted 30 Apr 2022 at 09:17

HI  ALL.

just updating from   previous  entry. Had  MDT with Urologist  yesterday  and  my  hubby  informed  of  spread to  left  pubic  bone as  per  Bone  scan. Awaiting ct  and  biopsy  results. MRI showed  extracapsular  extension  and a  few  pelvic  lymph  nodes enlarged  and  seminal  vesicle  infiltration. Had  Been  hoping  it  would  have  been  locally  advanced  stage  so ADVANED stage  very  frightening  for  us.  SO  quite a  lot  going on. JUST wondering  anyone  else  with  similiar  findings  in  regard   to  their  journey  so  far  to  date. As  a  wife  and  newcomer to  the site  it  has  been  so  helpful  to  me.

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 13:51
Sorry you have had not had any replies so far Anne, presumably because no one else is currently in quite the same boat?

I'm not quite at that stage yet either despite also having recently been diagnosed with recurrent advanced PCa. This apparently means the cancer has now escaped the prostate bed and spread to other parts of the body. However, neither an MRI nor a PET scan has succeeded so far in locating the pesky cancer cells, so I'm kind of in limbo waiting to take my next PSA test in July.

For context I should perhaps mention that I was first diagnosed with PCa 13 years ago at the age of 65 and in 2009 underwent a robotic prostatectomy and radiotherapy. The surgeon did warn me that he had been unable to remove all the cancer cells and that there was therefore a chance of recurrence further down the line.

Sure enough my PSA has been rising pretty much ever since, at first very slowly but over the past couple of years it has kind of taken off and currently stands at a fraction over 12. My onco has indicated that if/when it reaches somewhere between 15 to 20 he will urge that I undertake a course of HT and possibly also chemo. I would hardly say the prospect of either treatment fills me with relish!

However, I choose not to let the outlook bother me too much, simply because there is absolutely zero point in worrying. My attitude is, what will be, will be, meantime I'm going to forget about it all and focus on enjoying my life to the full.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm totally free of the fall-out from my prostatectomy and radiotherapy, which between them have left me with a very overactive bladder (OAB) and moderately heavy urinary incontinence, but at least I am free of pain and the consequences of OAB can be managed.

But it's all about keeping everything thing in perspective. The bigger picture is that, once you know you've started to skid that bit faster down life's slippery slope, all of a sudden life seems so much more fun, and you seem to know how to make the most of it that much more.

I'm therefore solely focused on looking forward to several more years of relatively normal, happy life!

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 14:17
Hi Anne ,another wife here !!

Our story started 6.5 yrs ago aged 55 . Psa 23 Gleason 4+5 spread to lymph nodes . We thought it was the end of the world but once treatment started ,6 rounds of chemo with hormone injection every 12 weeks Gary’s psa became undetectable.

Gary was ‘lucky’ that he was enrolled onto the stampede trial and has maintained the undetectable psa reading ever since .

There are treatments that will hopefully slow everything down .

Gary still works full time at a slower pace in the construction industry.

I can’t say it won’t change you life because it will but you learn to adapt .

Hope all goes well

Debby

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 15:39

Hi Ann, another wife. Whilst I can’t relate directly to what you are both going through, there is lots of support and advice here. Do you know yet what your next steps are? X

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 17:14

Hi Ann, lots of support and advice in this forum, but there is also a ladies only group on facebook called "UK ladies for prostate" where us ladies can get advice without interference from the gents and have a good moan about men.  

Wishing you despite all the very best

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 16:51

HI Anne, my husband has just been recently diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer with mets. He is a very healthy and active 79 year old.  We both feel completely knocked over with this diagnosis literally out of the blue, but that is cancer for you.  So hubby had a CT scan today,MRI on  Wednesday, bone scan on the 6th June followed by a biopsy. So a lot going on, of course I will be dreading the appointment to hear the results. His Xray was normal so that is a small blessing.  He has started on hormone tabs since last Friday.  Will keep you posted of our cancer journey.  Hubby does suffer from intermittent pain under  right rib cage and sometimes in the back. I am going to stay posistive and know that there is a lot of options for this type of cancer whilst at the same time researach is ongoing.

Maud

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 19:36

HI All. just need to share what is currently happening with my  husband ( Mike) re his cancer journey. He has had his CT scan and MRI. On MOnday he will have his bone scan followed by a biopsy and then the dreaded results.

Mike started his hormone tablets last Friday and due to pain he was getting under the right rib cage and sometimes in the back he was taking co codamal tabs 8/500 4 times a day.  However, over the last 2 days he slept through the night without having any pain, yesterday and today he only took one tablet every 4 hours and the pain did not bother him as it did a few days ago.  So we are both perplexed as to why this is happening?.  Is it due to the hormone tablets or is it just a phase he is going through ?.  Has anyone gone throug this type of experience?. Mike is eating really well, doing gardening and going for walks. 

Any advice / comments appreciated. 

Maud

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 20:07

Hi Maud I've moved my reply to your other thread rather than hijack Ann's

Edited by member 02 Jun 2022 at 20:24  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 13:09

Hi hope everyone is enjoying the lovely sunny weather.

I heard yesterday that my hubby Mike is to have his first injection of Decapeptyl this afternoon.  This will be every 6 months. He will also continue with his Bicultamide tabs for another 4 weeks. Just wondered if anyone has had this injjection to pass on some of their experieces with it.  Mike is okay so far, still playing tennis and badminton, eating well and in no pain.  This is all despite his diagnosis of metastatic prostate cancer, where it has spread to his spine, lungs and lymph nodes!.  I am assuming that the 6 monthly imjections will have the same effect as the tablets?.  Any information out there would be greatly appreciated.

Maud.