I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radical treatment query

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 10:37

My husband  had  a  follow up  consultation  last  week with  Urologist.  Bone  scan result 1  spot  on left  pubic  bone....had  Mri  6 weeks  ago  following psa  of  48 end  Feb.   as  had  urinary  symptoms for 4 months. MRI  showed  that  it  had  escaped  the  prostate with  seminal vesicle  Infiltration  and  3 pelvic lymph nodes  enlarged  from  5  to  9mm. Range.   We had  hoped it  was  locally  advanced  but  bone  scan  result changed  all  of  thst  sadly. We  were  advised by  Urologist  last  week  of  referral  to  Oncology for   chemo  and RT  as  Urologist   mentioned  Oligometateses and  radical  treatment  for  better prognosis. We are  still awaiting  the Ct  and  biopsy results  of  the 29th. APRIL. Husband has commenced Bicalutamide and  now  Depixotpyl (spelling  may not  be accurate) injection 3 monthly. Feeling very scared  and  anxious re  husband's  pathway. Appreciate  any  advice  please.

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 15:50

Ann, sorry the two of you are facing this.

It sounds like your urologist thinks oncology may be prepared to treat the prostate, seminal vesicles, and lymph nodes with radiotherapy, and they might also treat the one bone spot at the same time, or afterwards. This is sometimes offered if there are no more than 3 small bone mets.

Chemo would be done usually a month after starting hormone injections (which in turn is roughly 2 weeks after starting Bicalutamide). The radiotherapy is then typically done after the chemo. RT is best delayed in any case until the hormone therapy (and chemo in this case) have had a good time to act - it's more effective when the cancer has already been knocked back by HT and CT.

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 17:48

ANDY  thank  you for  the  very  informative  reply  regarding  when chemo  and  Rt may  commence. I was  interested to  note  about  not commencing Rt  to  early  until  the  HT and CT have had  time  to  work. Can you give  me  an idea of  what  time  frame  that  would  be. Also would there  be  any  point  in  asking  for a PSMA pet scan considering g  hubby  has  already  commenced Bicalutamide  for past 8  days  and  hormone  injection  from  yesterday.  I have read your  journey  and it  is  an inspiration  to  other  men. Your  commitment  to  help others  in  same  situation and   give  talks regarding  Prostate  cancer  is  so  generous  of  you.

REGARDS

ANN

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 20:49

If patients are not having CT, then they do HT for 3-6 months before starting RT. (The HT before RT is called neoadjuvant HT. The HT after RT is called adjuvant HT.)

I think CT at this stage is usually 6 cycles of 3 weeks each, i.e. 4½ months, so I think your RT will be around 5½-6 months after starting HT if the CT starts a month after HT, but that timing isn't critical. For some cancers, the RT is given during CT, but I don't think that's done with prostate cancer.

Thanks for the comments. I've recently been asked to teach a class to therapeutic radiography students at University of Suffolk too, but do bare in mind I'm a patient, and not a clinician, so do check this with your oncologist.

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 08:09

Hi Ann

i just noticed the first UK site has been added to the PSMAddition clinical trial ( London)

I believe 45 days prior hormone therapy is allowed so it’s time sensitive but may allow early access to Lu-177 in addition to standard of care 

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04720157

Just a thought

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 22:54

Hi Anne

Sorry to hear of your hubbies diagnosis. There is a clinical trial that he may be eligible for if nothing comes from the oncology referral. Worth investigating ATLANTA trial at Imperial College. London

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 15:50

Ann, sorry the two of you are facing this.

It sounds like your urologist thinks oncology may be prepared to treat the prostate, seminal vesicles, and lymph nodes with radiotherapy, and they might also treat the one bone spot at the same time, or afterwards. This is sometimes offered if there are no more than 3 small bone mets.

Chemo would be done usually a month after starting hormone injections (which in turn is roughly 2 weeks after starting Bicalutamide). The radiotherapy is then typically done after the chemo. RT is best delayed in any case until the hormone therapy (and chemo in this case) have had a good time to act - it's more effective when the cancer has already been knocked back by HT and CT.

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 17:48

ANDY  thank  you for  the  very  informative  reply  regarding  when chemo  and  Rt may  commence. I was  interested to  note  about  not commencing Rt  to  early  until  the  HT and CT have had  time  to  work. Can you give  me  an idea of  what  time  frame  that  would  be. Also would there  be  any  point  in  asking  for a PSMA pet scan considering g  hubby  has  already  commenced Bicalutamide  for past 8  days  and  hormone  injection  from  yesterday.  I have read your  journey  and it  is  an inspiration  to  other  men. Your  commitment  to  help others  in  same  situation and   give  talks regarding  Prostate  cancer  is  so  generous  of  you.

REGARDS

ANN

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 20:49

If patients are not having CT, then they do HT for 3-6 months before starting RT. (The HT before RT is called neoadjuvant HT. The HT after RT is called adjuvant HT.)

I think CT at this stage is usually 6 cycles of 3 weeks each, i.e. 4½ months, so I think your RT will be around 5½-6 months after starting HT if the CT starts a month after HT, but that timing isn't critical. For some cancers, the RT is given during CT, but I don't think that's done with prostate cancer.

Thanks for the comments. I've recently been asked to teach a class to therapeutic radiography students at University of Suffolk too, but do bare in mind I'm a patient, and not a clinician, so do check this with your oncologist.

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 08:09

Hi Ann

i just noticed the first UK site has been added to the PSMAddition clinical trial ( London)

I believe 45 days prior hormone therapy is allowed so it’s time sensitive but may allow early access to Lu-177 in addition to standard of care 

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04720157

Just a thought

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 11:28

Hi Ann, 

Sorry about your husbands diagnosis. It’s really good news that they want to treat it more aggressively and hoping for good results.

Have a look at my bio of my husbands journey. He was diagnosed advanced after the bone scan but we were fortunate after a PSMA pet scan and second opinion it disagreed with original diagnosis. Rob had operation which removed the affected lymph node also. Rob had been on bicalutamide for over a week when he had his pet scan and had one prostap injection. Our consultant said this would not have disguised any cancer at this stage but I suppose we’ll never know for sure. Wishing you both well x

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 22:54

Hi Anne

Sorry to hear of your hubbies diagnosis. There is a clinical trial that he may be eligible for if nothing comes from the oncology referral. Worth investigating ATLANTA trial at Imperial College. London

User
Posted 09 May 2022 at 09:46

Hi  Claret many  thanks  for your  reply regarding  eligibility  and  availability of  clinical  trials uk.  I  Will  indeed  follow this  up  when  we  meet  up with Oncologist  hopefully  within  next  few  weeks. I  wish  your  husband and  yourself  continued  good  luck in  your  journey  together. Regards

ANN

User
Posted 04 Dec 2022 at 18:16

Hi Cocker2. I hope you are well. 

My father has a similar stage as yours on diagnosis. Just wondering how you are progressing? 

Many thanks!