Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Coming to terms with diagnosis

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 10:57

Hi all,

I’m new here and have recently been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. I’m a normally healthy 50 year old with no family history of prostate cancer.

I’m just reaching out for now for any help or advice that anyone may have for coming to terms with this diagnosis.

I will post more about my diagnosis, just settling in for now and trying to find ways to cope.

Thanks, Dave

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 20:58

Hi Dave, I am 5 weeks post opp for prostate removal Gleason 7. My pal has advance prostate cancer and is under Royal Marsden, he was diagnosed 5 years ago it’s in his bones and he had a tumour removed from his back. The good news is he’s been on a trial drug after chemotherapy ect is having chemo again and going on another trial drug and he’s still working as a roofer. The reason for my post is be positive and they can control this b****** thing,take care Regards Gary

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 13:27
Dave, I'm not in the same situation as you, but I did go through some quite tough mental stuff when I was diagnosed and I found the Macmillan counselling service to be extremely helpful. Might be worth getting in touch with them?

Cheers,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 12:59

Sorry, Dave, to hear that you have joined the "club",  but it is quite a large club with  1 in 5 men of 40 having signs of prostate cancer and most men of 60 and over having it. It is generally a slow growing cancer and most men with it die of something else. That said, I note you have indicated that you have been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer so yours, based on your PSA score and Gleason grading, may be in need of more urgent treatment than some whose scores and grading are quite low.

It would be useful if you detailed your PSA  and Gleason scores, along with other related information, so that people can comment based on the actual state of play.

Ivan     

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 14:31

Hi Ivan, thanks for your comment. 
My PSA was originally 53 and Gleason score of 9. I’ve already started with hormone injections and have an appointment with an Oncologist May 18th with a view to starting Chemotherapy a week or so after that. 
It’s spread to my pelvic area too and a suspicious area in my breast bone. 

Trying to come to terms with diagnosis.

Dave.

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 08:18

Hi Dave

i noticed the first UK site has been added to the PSMAddition trial offering the potential of early access to Lu-177

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04720157

it’s in London and time sensitive it appears that only 45 days of prior hormone therapy allowed but just wanted to flag it’s been added.

Good luck

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 09:28

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Dave

i noticed the first UK site has been added to the PSMAddition trial offering the potential of early access to Lu-177

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04720157

it’s in London and time sensitive it appears that only 45 days of prior hormone therapy allowed but just wanted to flag it’s been added.

Good luck

Sutton Surrey - Looks like the Sutton Branch of the Royal Marsden involved then.

Barry
User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 09:54

It does indeed. Interesting one! 

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 13:27
Dave, I'm not in the same situation as you, but I did go through some quite tough mental stuff when I was diagnosed and I found the Macmillan counselling service to be extremely helpful. Might be worth getting in touch with them?

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 16:00

Yes, I can recommend them. Halfway thru mine.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 08 May 2022 at 20:58

Hi Dave, I am 5 weeks post opp for prostate removal Gleason 7. My pal has advance prostate cancer and is under Royal Marsden, he was diagnosed 5 years ago it’s in his bones and he had a tumour removed from his back. The good news is he’s been on a trial drug after chemotherapy ect is having chemo again and going on another trial drug and he’s still working as a roofer. The reason for my post is be positive and they can control this b****** thing,take care Regards Gary

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 00:34

Hi Dave 

Sorry you are going through this. See my bio. 

Hope you're doing OK. It's a shock and a lot to adjust to. The forum can be very helpful. Wishing you the best with your treatment. 

Sharon