I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone had nano knife in the uk rescently

User
Posted 09 May 2022 at 18:20

Looks good as no surgery or radio therapy, with fast recovery,   but has anyone on this forum actually it and how did it go  ?

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 01:12

David,

We did have a member of this forum post not so long ago very positively on his experience of NanoKnife (Irreversible Electroporation) which he had as a private patient in Germany. Unfortunately, the search facility on this forum is awful so I have not found his post or user name. It's pretty rare in the UK, UCLH saying they were the first Hospital to do it here and that was only a few months ago, so doubt you will get many or any answers to your question from anybody who has had it. https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/news/uclh-first-nhs-use-nanoknife-prostate-cancer

You keep asking about various types of treatment but without knowing whether you are a suitable candidate for any of them. If you are interested in Focal Treatment of different kinds, you would do better to ask whether you might be suitable and then get a referral to a hospital that specializes in this such as UCLH who having considered your histology and scans will be able to advise you. I take it that you are aware that with Focal Therapy such as HIFU or Nanoknife, it has become more the case that only significant tumours are treated, leaving what are thought insignificant ones. The thinking behind this is to preserve function are far as possible and minimise side effects.

You have not shown details of your diagnosis in your Bio/Profile so we have no idea of how you stand.

Edited by member 10 May 2022 at 01:15  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 06:19
When we saw the oncologist beginning April OH asked for a referral for Nanoknife to UCLH, which was send by the hospital the same day (got a copy of the letter) and the oncologist was interested by this himself. Have not heard from them at all.
User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 07:41

UCLH seem to have forgotten they tried NanoKnife around 8 years ago, and the results weren't good. I presume they have worked on that since, but it doesn't say why they now think it may be viable.

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 07:54

Might have something to do with the fact that Vitus Klinik in Germany are achieving very good results with this procedure

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 23:23

Hi,  I think the person Old Barry is referring to is called PaulLondon.      If you search the members names you'll come across his posts and the discussion.   All the best Peter

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 00:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi,  I think the person Old Barry is referring to is called PaulLondon.      If you search the members names you'll come across his posts and the discussion.   All the best Peter

Hi Peter and thank you.  That's the man as here https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=profile&u=49670                                                    

Barry
User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 01:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

UCLH seem to have forgotten they tried NanoKnife around 8 years ago, and the results weren't good. I presume they have worked on that since, but it doesn't say why they now think it may be viable.

I suppose anybody embarking on a new form of treatment is on a learning curve and perhaps it has taken a time to catch up with those administoring the treatment in London.  I remembering asking UCLH back in 2015 about how effective Nanonife was and bein told then that it was too early to tell from the small number they had treated within a trial.  Subsequent to that, Professor M E has been more positive about adopting it in suitable cases. The treatment is also being administered by a lady Professor there now,  (the one who treated me with HIFU).  The advantage of going to UCLH for an opinion on Focal Therapy is that they have more experience in the various types of Focal Treatment than  anywhere else in the UK and further afield.  So if you go to them for an opinion, you benefit from this.  In fact they receive many requests for an opinion.  Incidentally, among those providing them with funding for some of these innovative treatments and research is Prostate Cancer UK.  Unfortunately, the administration at UCLH falls well short of their clinical expertise as I and others have previously attested.

Barry