I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone treatment or Radiotherapy

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 11:23

Since my RARP in October 2017 my PSA has risen to 0.17 and my consultant has told me that I could have radiotherapy now or hormone therapy later. I do not need to make a decision until my PSA reaches 0.400.

I am 72 years old and am favouring hormone therapy in the future rather than radio now.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 12:07
Radiotherapy would presumably be given with curative intent, whereas HT would merely be a holding measure - it wouldn't get rid of the cancer. If I were in your position I think I'd want the cancer gone. RT on its own is a pretty trouble-free process.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 13:13

I agree with Chris radiotherapy normally with curative intent combined with hormone therapy if needed 

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 17:35

What age were you hoping to die? I think you should be aiming for 85. So will PCa kill you in the next thirteen years? I would guess if left untreated it would.

RT is not too troublesome, so I would go for that, even if it doesn't cure you, your cancer is pretty slow and RT will probably buy you a decade before you need to even think about anything else.

If you don't have RT you might get a few more years before HT is needed, and it may work for several years, so either way I reckon you would get to about 85 but perhaps a decade of HT wouldn't be a great way to enjoy the last few years of your life.

Dave

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 01:20

I agree with all the above posts ... RT now, rather than "holding pattern" HT indefinitely and possibly starting in the not so distant future, looks like the best option.

RT is a short and slightly difficult  where HT is life changing and not the sort of thing you'd want to take on long-term unless it's absolutely necessary.

Jules

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 07:57
The fact that you have been offered the choice suggests it is a fine call either way so suggest you play it the way you are most comfortable with.
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 12:07
Radiotherapy would presumably be given with curative intent, whereas HT would merely be a holding measure - it wouldn't get rid of the cancer. If I were in your position I think I'd want the cancer gone. RT on its own is a pretty trouble-free process.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 13:13

I agree with Chris radiotherapy normally with curative intent combined with hormone therapy if needed 

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 17:35

What age were you hoping to die? I think you should be aiming for 85. So will PCa kill you in the next thirteen years? I would guess if left untreated it would.

RT is not too troublesome, so I would go for that, even if it doesn't cure you, your cancer is pretty slow and RT will probably buy you a decade before you need to even think about anything else.

If you don't have RT you might get a few more years before HT is needed, and it may work for several years, so either way I reckon you would get to about 85 but perhaps a decade of HT wouldn't be a great way to enjoy the last few years of your life.

Dave

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 01:20

I agree with all the above posts ... RT now, rather than "holding pattern" HT indefinitely and possibly starting in the not so distant future, looks like the best option.

RT is a short and slightly difficult  where HT is life changing and not the sort of thing you'd want to take on long-term unless it's absolutely necessary.

Jules

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 07:57
The fact that you have been offered the choice suggests it is a fine call either way so suggest you play it the way you are most comfortable with.
Barry
User
Posted 31 May 2022 at 10:55

Hi Bradders. I am in the same boat as you and also decided on hormone treatment which started in March. Pain levels in my knees, hands, shoulders, back and ribs. My personal drug is apelutemide. I had to stop taking them. Too painful and it restricted my activity so much.

After a two week break I switched to a different drug, enzolutamide, but with the same results. I am now on a two week break and then will restart at a half dose.

I sincerely hope that you have a better experience than me.

Good luck.

David.