I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

8-week check up

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 21:17

I had surgery to remove the prostate on 14 March. Today I returned to the Marsden to get the results from the histology of the removed organ and a blood test. The results of the former were really good. Tumour accounted for around 5% of the prostate and no evidence that it escaped the organ (i.e. along the line of the assessment at biopsy). The word "cured" was used, as was the phrase "negative margins". But my PSA level came out at 0.01 so marginally detectable. I was told to return for another blood test in six weeks. No need to worry, and way below levels where they would conduct a scan. But not exactly what I wanted to hear.   

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 23:20

Even with a poor histology,positive margins and a post op PSA of 0.03 it took me three years to reach the need for further treatment. Just passed my eight year anniversary of surgery.

Hopefully you are in the 70 percent of men whose surgery is successful. Is that PSA 0.01 or <0.01. Stay positive and enjoy life.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 07:10

Thanks Chris. It was 0.01, rather than less than 0.01. I think that is the lowest detectable point. I was hoping for closure, so am just processing the fact that there is uncertainty for at least another six weeks. 

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 09:41

From what you have said your operation was a success and your PSA reading is very good. I had my prostate removed at Addenbrookes in December and my post surgery PSA result was less than 0.04. Addenbrookes does not test lower than 0.04. The fact that your PSA came out at 0.01 (perhaps the lowest your hospital tests to?) suggests that you have nothing to be concerned about. A recurrence after surgery is only thought likely if the PSA reading comes out at 0.2 or higher. Apparently, other cells in the body can produce small amounts of PSA so it is unlikely that any PSA reading will be zero.

Ivan

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 12:28

Thanks for the reassurance. Having been obsessing about PC for several months, I need to get myself into a different mindset.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 12:43

Indeed. Not easy to do, perhaps, but one does need to move on. Especially at your "young" age.

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 20:21

Hi Superhoop,

Congratulations on a great result.

What are you expecting to hear?

0.01 is a good result.  As time goes by your reading may fluctuate, anywhere between < 0.1 to 0.01.

9 years down my line, my DaVinci moment was May 2013, am happy with anything that starts with POINT something.

PSA test anxiety is a real pizza, the ongoing mental stress is understandable, though beyond rational.  Easy for me to say 9 years on!  

I hope that you like others will get to the point where the test is just one of those things.  I sometimes forget to chase my results up these days.  I hope that you will get to this stage as well.

Please, enjoy your now, and your future and long may it last.  Have a good weekend.

Dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.