Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cabazatacil failed, now Radium 223

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 00:53

Hi folks 

Do any members have  experience of radium 223 and what to expect? Devastated that cabazatacil has also failed and we have reached this point only 18 months since diagnosis. 

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 23:18

Really sorry to hear this. I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice with regards radium 223, but we are thinking of you both and hope you can get the treatment sorted soon x

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 05:49

Hi Highland Lass

Sorry to hear treatment plan not working well for you both.  Have everything crossed for you both that the next lot of treatment will last longer than the previous treatments.  
Ginny

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 00:38
Radium 223 doesn't treat the cancer everywhere, only the bone mets so it is for improving quality of life more than extending life although obviously, if bone pain is reduced that means pain relief is
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 00:51
Not sure what's going on with the forum - I can't amend the post.
Continuing ... that means less pain relief is needed which can extend life.

If you can't find many posts on radium 223 or R223, also search for MDV which was its previous name. Some numbers here have done well on R223 but for a small number of men it makes the bone pain much worse in which case it is stopped early
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 16:36

If you type Radium 233 into the search function on this web site it will throw up a mixed bag of comments.Like many APC treatments it works for some !

Incidentally it was mentioned by my doc. this week as my next  possible treatment because of current L177 supply problems.

Regards Norm

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 23:18

Really sorry to hear this. I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice with regards radium 223, but we are thinking of you both and hope you can get the treatment sorted soon x

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 19:33

Zhang I, Gilbo P, Kohn N, Cox B. Clinical response to radium-223 dichloride in men with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2018 Nov-Dec;8(6):452-457. doi: 10.1016/j.prro.2018.05.003. Epub 2018 May 16. PMID: 29934137.

The above study suggests that  two thirds of men get some benefit from R233 including longer survival.It also suggests that if there is no improvement in bone pain by cycle 3 should consider not proceeding with the rest of the 6 cycles.

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 05:49

Hi Highland Lass

Sorry to hear treatment plan not working well for you both.  Have everything crossed for you both that the next lot of treatment will last longer than the previous treatments.  
Ginny

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 22:30

Thank you Ginny 

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 00:38
Radium 223 doesn't treat the cancer everywhere, only the bone mets so it is for improving quality of life more than extending life although obviously, if bone pain is reduced that means pain relief is
User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 00:51
Not sure what's going on with the forum - I can't amend the post.
Continuing ... that means less pain relief is needed which can extend life.

If you can't find many posts on radium 223 or R223, also search for MDV which was its previous name. Some numbers here have done well on R223 but for a small number of men it makes the bone pain much worse in which case it is stopped early
User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 04:28

Thanks Lynne. Husband only has bone mets, although widespread. No spread to visceral tissue or lymp nodes. 

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 12:16

So sorry to hear the chemo hasn't worked. Thanks for reaching out, I can't message back as I'm new but I'll be following your journey and praying that things improve. Thinking of you x

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 08:00

Hi Highland Lass

What is happening now treatment wise??

Hope that any new treatment works for you.  Can't private message you as it tells me I am too new to the site.

Try and stay positive.

Ginny

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 13:01

Hello Ginny

Unfortunately 18 months from diagnosis my husband is now on Radium223. This was flowing a decline in May when oncologist advised that cabazatacil had failed the same as the docetaxel. He's had his 2nd R223 infusion but experiencing debilitating fatigue. He still receives degralix injection every month. We are pursuing lutetium 177 and hopeful our local health board will agree to this when R223 is finished or no longer working. 

All of last year was fantastic with Abiraterone. Sorely disappointed it only lasted 1 year. Hoping things are going well for your husband.

Best wishes. X

User
Posted 13 Sep 2022 at 05:24

Morning Highland Lass

My darling hubby seems to be failing on early chemo treatment.  psa dropped from 600 to 8 on Firmagon alone.  Started docetaxel and at mid point psa 1.42, after 6th and final session psa up to 8 again. They have now got him on cabazitaxal chemo, but his psa is now 42.  They keep saying do not look at psa number, but I can’t help but worry that the cancer is spreading whilst on the chemo.  

Edited by member 13 Sep 2022 at 09:14  | Reason: Not specified