I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy results times pi-rads 5

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 14:04

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how long people are waiting for tp biopsy results, I have been waiting nearly 4 weeks and nothing yet, I called the hospital and they said there were delays at present, I was originally told to expect  3 weeks max, this is really prolonging my anxiety about the whole situation, feel like I can't move on. Also my MRI scan was marked pi-rads 5, is this always probably bad news? Thanks.

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 08:04
Hoping you get your results soon. The waiting is agony! Best wishes to you x
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 14:31
I had my MRI on 20th December, biopsy in 1st February, results by phone on 15th February, referral to Bristol and consultant appointment on 28th March and a Robotic Prostatectomy on 28th April. Currently recovering post op at home after having had catheter removed last Friday. Good luck on your own journey - the waiting is the anxious part and I now have to wait until 1st July for the post surgery follow up consultation.
User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 14:43

Thanks stay positive hospital may have delays remember prostate cancer is very slow growing doubt a couple off weeks will make any difference you will find loads off great advice on here Lyn. Dave chesire Chris and many more that will help you and others along 👍

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 15:44
I had an MRI on Easter Monday, (18th April), call from urology on 27th with results - PI-RADS 4, phone call on 28th April to book biopsy (6th May), results 17th May, and consultant on 25th May.

This is all at Royal Berks in Reading - they seem on the ball getting appointments booked in advance.

PSA has been 5.x (bit of variation) for a while, had a retest after the last one (5.3) and it was 15..

Not looking forward to next Tuesday, I keep telling myself it is prostatitis....

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 10:52

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Briant7 - what is your PSA and PI-RADS from MRI?

Hi mosquito, PSA 7.1 pi-rads 5.

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 11:26

Hope you get your results soon, it is the worst time just waiting. About 6 days (on a Friday) after my husbands MRI scan he had a phone call booking him in for a bone scan. At this point I freaked out. Couldn’t find anything out until the Tuesday, and it took me having a complete breakdown on the phone for the consultant to ring me back within 5 minutes to tell us it was PIrads 5. He had the biopsy the following week then I think we waited nearly 3 weeks for the appointment with results. I would keep chasing though as if others are they may get pushed up the queue. Best of luck 

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 12:04

Unfortunately, there are considerable delays at some hospitals whilst at others far less due to demand and resources.  This extends a worrying time for patients and all you can do if you want to use the NHS is keep chasing..

Edited by member 14 May 2022 at 22:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 20:01

Seems like a post code lottery. I was lucky to be referred to the Royal Marsden in London, and it was super fast. The first appointment, I had the DRE, blood/urine tests and MRI. Results of MRI after 3 days and was back in for biopsy 4 days after that and results of biopsy was 6days later. I was told the results over the phone and the outcome of a MDT meeting with a list of options. Just under 2weeks! Absolutely amazing , it happened so fast I didn't have time to dwell and process anything.

Good luck with your results, hope you don't have to wait too long now and that it's not Pca.

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 12:21

Mick,

We are here for you on the forum however Tuesday goes for you.

P.

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 12:53
Thanks for sharing, I had what I thought was a UTI symptoms were feeling like I was permanently needing to go, but then there was nothing or very reduced flow, very uncomfortable feeling. I was given antibiotics by gp, seemed to do the trick but a couple of weeks later symptoms returned, went back to gp who then started with the PSA test, and now I'm here, seems crazy that if the symptoms hadn't returned I would be none the wiser. I've been symptom free for weeks ,(touch wood)

Hope you don't need another biopsy and things work out ok.

User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 09:42
Finally got my biopsy results, and I'm all clear! So unexpected but such a relief after nearly 5 weeks waiting. I still need to see the consultant to investigate further but massive relief. Thanks for all the comments and support, and good luck for anyone undergoing diagnosis or treatment.
User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 11:00

Great news that both of you have the all clear. What a relief that must be. Wishing you both all the very best.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 14:24

Only waited 10 days for my biopsy all tests were a whirlwind off about 2weeks suppose it's how busy your hospital is I would definitely chase them though light at the end of the tunnel though 1year on psa now 0.01 from 24.9  had 37 sessions off radiotherapy in my 13 month off hormone therapy out off 24 and reasonably ok good luck with your treatment  gaz 👍

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 14:34

Thanks Gaz,

I did chase the hospital a few days ago they said they were experiencing delays, just wondered if this is normal at present. Glad your treatment is going well, best of luck. 

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 14:43

Thanks stay positive hospital may have delays remember prostate cancer is very slow growing doubt a couple off weeks will make any difference you will find loads off great advice on here Lyn. Dave chesire Chris and many more that will help you and others along 👍

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 15:44
I had an MRI on Easter Monday, (18th April), call from urology on 27th with results - PI-RADS 4, phone call on 28th April to book biopsy (6th May), results 17th May, and consultant on 25th May.

This is all at Royal Berks in Reading - they seem on the ball getting appointments booked in advance.

PSA has been 5.x (bit of variation) for a while, had a retest after the last one (5.3) and it was 15..

Not looking forward to next Tuesday, I keep telling myself it is prostatitis....

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 16:04

Hi, the time from my PSA test to MRI then biopsy was reasonably quick it just seems to have gotten stuck now, had my biopsy 19/4 still not had results or follow up appointment. I'm Northumberland, apparently tests get sent to Manchester. Hope it's good news for you Tues, I'm hoping for prostatitis as well, wish you well 

Edited by member 13 May 2022 at 16:11  | Reason: Added location

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 23:06

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 08:04
Hoping you get your results soon. The waiting is agony! Best wishes to you x
User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 10:52

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi mosquito, PSA 7.1 pi-rads 5.

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 10:58

Thanks Janey

The first 2 weeks wait were the worst, I have tried not to think about it since but it just creeps up and hits you sometimes. I think when I do get the call it'll hit home.

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 11:26

Hope you get your results soon, it is the worst time just waiting. About 6 days (on a Friday) after my husbands MRI scan he had a phone call booking him in for a bone scan. At this point I freaked out. Couldn’t find anything out until the Tuesday, and it took me having a complete breakdown on the phone for the consultant to ring me back within 5 minutes to tell us it was PIrads 5. He had the biopsy the following week then I think we waited nearly 3 weeks for the appointment with results. I would keep chasing though as if others are they may get pushed up the queue. Best of luck 

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 12:04

Unfortunately, there are considerable delays at some hospitals whilst at others far less due to demand and resources.  This extends a worrying time for patients and all you can do if you want to use the NHS is keep chasing..

Edited by member 14 May 2022 at 22:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 20:01

Seems like a post code lottery. I was lucky to be referred to the Royal Marsden in London, and it was super fast. The first appointment, I had the DRE, blood/urine tests and MRI. Results of MRI after 3 days and was back in for biopsy 4 days after that and results of biopsy was 6days later. I was told the results over the phone and the outcome of a MDT meeting with a list of options. Just under 2weeks! Absolutely amazing , it happened so fast I didn't have time to dwell and process anything.

Good luck with your results, hope you don't have to wait too long now and that it's not Pca.

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 10:38
Thanks for the reply everyone, I know all I can do is wait. Seems to be a postcode lottery within the NHS. I will chase them again in a couple of days if I don't hear.
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 11:18
Good luck, still hoping to get mine on Tuesday, I have now had THREE texts and THREE emails reminding me of the appointment! (only had one reminder for all other appointments - brain is flagging this as not good.. anxiety building....
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 12:21

Mick,

We are here for you on the forum however Tuesday goes for you.

P.

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 13:48
Thanks, great to be able to share!
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 14:31
I had my MRI on 20th December, biopsy in 1st February, results by phone on 15th February, referral to Bristol and consultant appointment on 28th March and a Robotic Prostatectomy on 28th April. Currently recovering post op at home after having had catheter removed last Friday. Good luck on your own journey - the waiting is the anxious part and I now have to wait until 1st July for the post surgery follow up consultation.
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 18:45

That is a lot to go through in a short space of time, I'm trying to keep busy so I can't worry about what I don't know. Hope your recovery goes well.

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 09:15

Just got my results - all clear (no cancer found!) PHEW!

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 10:58

That is great news, and a great relief to you, hope I get some results soon can I ask what your symptoms were regarding why you started along this road. 

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 11:33
In 2019 I had epididymitis/orchitis in left testicle, ended up having surgery to drain an abccess on the testicle. At the follow-up, it was suggested I wait a couple of months, then have a PSA test (I had had them in the past as part of work medicals, but retired in 2011). My flow rate was not particularly good, and very stop/start. Tamsulosin was prescribed and has helped.

The PSA came back as 4.7, so test was repeated, 5.3 this time. Had an MRI, but nothing shown. Discharged back to GP with 6 monthly PSA check.

PSA has been 4-5 range until March this year when it was 5.3, then 15 on a retest. This triggered an MRI which came back as PI-RADS 4. Biopsy followed, but didn't show any cancer.

My case will be discussed at the next MDT meeting, hopefully just back to 6 monthly PSA, but there is a chance they will do a template biopsy under general (I suppose 30+ cores, they only did 12 for this biopsy).

My flow rate is not particularly good, but I'm not having to get up too much in the night (normally just once), and only slight hesitation, and no leakage. I have learnt to 'double pee' - just wait a few seconds and I can start again!

Prostate volume is 60cc (from MRI).

Next PSA in September. (which coincides with my next eye surgeon review when I might need further surgery!)

Oh the joys of getting old!

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 12:53
Thanks for sharing, I had what I thought was a UTI symptoms were feeling like I was permanently needing to go, but then there was nothing or very reduced flow, very uncomfortable feeling. I was given antibiotics by gp, seemed to do the trick but a couple of weeks later symptoms returned, went back to gp who then started with the PSA test, and now I'm here, seems crazy that if the symptoms hadn't returned I would be none the wiser. I've been symptom free for weeks ,(touch wood)

Hope you don't need another biopsy and things work out ok.

User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 09:42
Finally got my biopsy results, and I'm all clear! So unexpected but such a relief after nearly 5 weeks waiting. I still need to see the consultant to investigate further but massive relief. Thanks for all the comments and support, and good luck for anyone undergoing diagnosis or treatment.
User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 11:00

Great news that both of you have the all clear. What a relief that must be. Wishing you both all the very best.